Raphael M. Bonelli
He graduated with a M.D. from Vienna University and with a Dr.med.sc. from the Medical University of Graz. He did postdoctoral research at Harvard Medical School, University of California, Los Angeles and Duke University. He is Faculty Scholar of the Duke University Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health.
Bonelli is researcher on neuropsychiatry. His scientific interest is dementia, especially Huntington's disease. With his neuropsychiatric research group he described eight new treatment options for this disease: Pramipexol, Quetiapine, Minocycline, Mirtazapine, Zotepine, Ziprasidone, Venlafaxine and antipsychotic drug holidays in Huntington’s disease.
In a cooperation with Harold Koenig from Duke University he undertook the first systematic evidence based analysis on the connection between mental disorders and religion. The researchers conclude that there is good evidence that religious involvement is correlated with better mental health in the areas of depression, substance abuse, and suicide; some evidence in Stress-related disorders and dementia; insufficient evidence in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, and no data in many other mental disorders.
- Biography at Duke University (English)
- Homepage – Raphael Bonelli (German)
- Sigmund Freud University Vienna, Research group Neuropsychiatry (German)
- Duke University, Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health: Faculty Scholars of the Center (non-resident), accessed December 23, 2011
- ORF Science
- Austrian Huntington Association
- Bonelli RM, Niederwieser G, Diez J, Gruber A, Költringer P. Pramipexole ameliorates neurological and psychiatric symptoms in a Westphal variant of Huntington’s disease. Clinical Neuropharmacology 2002; 25(1):58-60.
- Bonelli RM, Niederwieser G. Quetiapine in Huntington’s disease: a first case report. Journal of Neurology 2002; 249(8):1114-1115.
- Bonelli RM, Hödl, AK, Hofmann P, Kapfhammer HP. Neuroprotection in Huntington's disease: A Two Year Study on Minocycline. International Clinical Psychopharmacology 2004; 19(6):337-42.
- Bonelli RM, Heuberger C, Reisecker F. Minocycline for Huntington’s disease: an open label study. Neurology 2003; 60(5):883-4.
- Bonelli RM. Mirtazapine in suicidal Huntington’s disease. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2003; 37(3):452.
- Bonelli RM, Niederwieser G, Lahousen T, Hoffmann P. Zotepine in Huntington’s disease. Human Psychopharmacology Clinical & Experimental 2003; 18(3):227-9.
- Bonelli RM, Mayr BJ,Niederwieser G, Reisecker F, Kapfhammer HP. Ziprasidone in Huntington’s disease: the first case reports. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2003; 17(4):459-60
- Holl AK, Wilkinson L, Painold A, Holl EM, Bonelli RM. Combating depression in Huntington's disease: effective antidepressive treatment with venlafaxine XR. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010; 25(1):46-50
- Schmidt EZ, Kapfhammer HP, Bonelli RM. Antipsychotic drug holiday in Huntington’s disease. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2005; 39(4):773-774.
- Bonelli RM, Koenig H. Mental Disorders, Religion and Spirituality 1990 to 2010: A Systematic Evidence-Based Review. Journal of Religion and Health 2013, Feb 19. [Epub ahead of print] Abstract