|This biographical article relies on references to primary sources. (April 2013)|
|Ratan N. Tata|
28 December 1937 |
Mumbai, British India
|Residence||Colaba, Mumbai, India|
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
|Occupation||Chairman EmeritusTata Sons and Chairman, Tata Trusts|
Sir Ratan Tata
|Awards||Padma Vibhushan (2008)
Ratan Tata, (Born Ratan Naval Tata on 28 December 1937) is an Indian businessman of the Tata Group, a Mumbai-based conglomerate. He was the chairman of the group from 1991-2012. He stepped down as the chairman on 28 December 2012 and now holds the position of Chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons, which is an honorary and advisory position. He will continue as the chairman of the Group's charitable trusts.
Ratan Tata is the son of Naval Tata, who had been adopted from the family of a distant relative by Lady Ratan Tata after the death of her husband, Sir Ratan Tata. Ratan Tata's parents (Naval and his first wife Soonoo) separated in the mid-1940s when Ratan was ten and his younger brother, Jimmy, was seven years old. Both he and his brother were raised by their grandmother, Lady Ratan Tata. Many years later, Naval Tata took a second wife, Simone, and fathered another son, Noel Tata.
Tata began his schooling in Mumbai at the Campion School and finished his secondary education at the Cathedral and John Connon School. He completed his B.S. in architecture with structural engineering from Cornell University in 1962, and the Advanced Management Program from Harvard Business School in 1975. Tata is a member of the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity.
Tata began his career in a Tata group in 1960; he initially worked on the shop floor of Tata Steel, shovelling limestone and handling the blast furnace.
In 1991, J. R. D. Tata stepped down as Chairman of Tata Sons, naming Ratan as his successor.
In 1991, Tata was appointed as the chairman of the Tata group. Under his stewardship, Tata Tea acquired Tetley, Tata motors acquired Jaguar Land Rover and Tata Steel acquired Corus, which have turned Tata from a largely India-centric company into a global business, with 65% revenues coming from abroad. He also pushed the development of the Tata Indica and the Tata Nano. Ratan Tata retired from all executive responsibility in the Tata group on December 28, 2012 which is also his 75th birthday and he is succeeded by Cyrus Mistry, the 44-year-old son of Pallonji Mistry and managing director of Shapoorji Pallonji Group.
Board Memberships and Affiliations
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2014)|
He is Chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons, Tata Motors, Tata Steel, Tata Chemicals and Tata Industries. He is also the chairman of the main two Tata trusts Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Sir Ratan Tata Trust and their allied Trusts, which together hold 66% of shares in the group holding company Tata Sons.
Ratan Tata has served in various capacities in organisations in India and abroad. He is a member of the Prime Minister's Council on Trade and Industry and the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council. He is on the jury panel of Pritzker Architecture Prize - considered to be one of the world's premier architecture prizes.
Ratan Tata is a Director on the Board of Alcoa Inc, Mondelez International  and Board of Governors of the East-West Center. He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of University of Southern California, Harvard Business School Board of Dean’s Advisors, X Prize  and Cornell University.
Honours and Awards
The other notable awards are:
|2014 declared||Sayaji Ratna Award||Baroda Management Association|||
|2014||Honorary Knight Grand Cross of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire||United Kingdom|||
|2014||Honorary Doctor of Business||Singapore Management University|||
|2013||Honorary Doctorate||University of Amsterdam|||
|2013||Honorary Doctor of Business Practice||Carnegie Mellon University|||
|2013||Ernst and Young Enterprenuer of the Year - Lifetime Achievement||Ernst & Young|||
|2013||Foreign Associate||National Academy of Engineering|||
|2012||Doctor of Business honoris causa||University of New South Wales|||
|2012||Honorary Fellow||The Royal Academy of Engineering|||
|2010||Business Leader of the Year||The Asian Awards.|||
|2010||Honorary Doctor of Laws||Pepperdine University|||
|2010||Legend in Leadership Award||Yale University.|||
|2010||Oslo Business for Peace award||Business for Peace Foundation|||
|2010||Hadrian Award||World Monuments Fund|||
|2010||Honorary Doctor of Law||University of Cambridge|||
|2009||Award of ‘Grand Officer’ of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic||Government of Italy|||
|2009||Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire||United Kingdom|
|2009||Life Time Contribution Award in Engineering for 2008||Indian National Academy of Engineering|||
|2008||Inspired Leadership Award||The Performance Theatre|||
|2008||Honorary Fellowship||The Institution of Engineering and Technology|||
|2008||Honorary Citizen Award||Government of Singapore|||
|2008||Honorary Doctor of Science||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.|||
|2008||Honorary Doctor of Science||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.|||
|2008||Honorary Doctor of Law||University of Cambridge.|||
|2008||Inspired Leadership Award||Inspired Leadership Award|||
|2007||Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy||Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.|||
|2007||Honorary Fellowship||The London School of Economics and Political Science|||
|2006||Responsible Capitalism Award||FIRST|||
|2006||Honorary Doctor of Science||Indian Institute of Technology Madras|||
|2005||Honorary Doctor of Science||University of Warwick.|||
|2005||International Distinguished Achievement Award||B’nai B’rith International|||
|2004||Honorary Doctor of Technology||Asian Institute of Technology.|||
|2004||Medal of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay||Government of Uruguay|||
|2001||Honorary Doctor of Business Administration||Ohio State University|||
- The amazing story of how Ratan Tata built an empire. Rediff (21 October 2010)
- "Ratan Tata is chairman emeritus of Tata Sons - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Langley, William (30 March 2008). "Ratan Tata rode the tiger economy and now he drives Jaguar". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Ratan Tata goes back to school". Times of India. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Sharma, Subramaniam (2006-10-18). "India's Tata Takes Leap With $7.6 Billion Corus Bid (Update1)". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Chidanand Rajghatta (2007-12-30). "Times of India Article: Man of the Year? Its Ratan Tata". The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Cyrus P Mistry to succeed Ratan Tata". Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Ratan Tata, India's Corporate Czar, Retires With a $500 Billion Vision". Bloomberg. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- BMA to confer Sayaji Ratna Award on Ratan Tata, The Times of India, 6-Apr-2014
- "http://www.hindustantimes.com/business-news/touched-for-being-awarded-gbe-by-uk-ratan-tata/article1-1209537.aspx". April 18, 2014.
- "http://www.smu.edu.sg/news/2014/03/19/mr-ratan-tata-receives-honorary-doctorate-smu". March 19, 2014.
- "http://www.cmu.edu/commencement/keynote_honorees/index.html Carnegie Mellon University".
- "http://www.ey.com/ Ernst & Young".
- "http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=02072013=07 Feb 2013".
- "UNSW Newsroom". Indian industrialist Ratan Tata honorary degree. Retrieved 28 Nov 2012.
- "Winners of the Asian Awards 2010". Times of India. October 2010.
- "Pepperdine Confers Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree on Ratan N. Tata". Pepperdine University. September 2010.
- "Yale Chief Executive Leadership Institute to Honor Tata Sons Chairman Ratan Tata with "Legend in Leadership Award"". Yale University. September 2010.
- http://www.theperformancetheatre.com/about/inspired-leadership-award/. November 13, 2008.
- http://www.theiet.org/resources/library/archives/institution-history/hon-fellows.cfm. November 2008.
- http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/Singapore+confers+honorary+citizenship+on+Ratan+Tata/1/14155.html. August 2008.
- "IIT Kharagpur confers doctorate on Ratan Tata". Economic Times. March 2008.
- "Ratan Tata gets smarter by a degree". Mumbai Mirror. August 2008.
- "University of Cambridge confers doctorate on Ratan Tata". University of Cambridge. March 2008.
- "Rajendra Pachauri and Ratan Tata guests of honour at Norwegian Creative Experience". Norwegian Embassy. November 2008.
- "Carnegie Medal for Philanthropy on Ratan Tata". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. March 2007.
- http://www.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/news/archives/2007/RatanTataHonoraryFellow.aspx. July 2007.
- http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/ratan-tata-wins-responsible-capitalism-award-106120300005_1.html. November 2006.
- http://www.hindu.com/2006/07/29/stories/2006072912901000.htm. July 2006.
- "University of Warwick confers Honorary Doctor of Science on Ratan Tata". London School of Economics. March 2005.
- http://www.bnaibrith.org/uploads/7/8/5/9/7859990/bbi_past_award_honorees_list.pdf. May 2005.
- "Asian Institute of Technology confers doctorate on Ratan Tata". Asian Institute of Technology. March 2008.
- http://portal.bsnl.in/bsnl/asp/content%20mgmt/html%20content/business/business29191.html. January 2004.
- http://www.osu.edu/universityawards/dsa/honorary.html. JMarch 2001.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ratan Naval Tata.|
- Ratan Naval Tata's chairman profile at Tata Group
- Profile at The Guardian
- Ratan Tata collected news and commentary at The Wall Street Journal
- Ratan Naval Tata collected news and commentary at The Bloomberg Businessweek
- Ratan Naval Tata collected news and commentary at The Times of India
- Ratan Tata at the Notable Names Database
- "Ratan Tata '59: The Cornell Story" YouTube video
- Interview on Charlie Rose