Ratchet & Clank (film)
|Ratchet & Clank|
|Directed by||Kevin Munroe
|Produced by||Brad Foxhoven
|Written by||TJ Fixman|
|Based on||Ratchet & Clank
by Insomniac Games
|Music by||David Bergeaud
|Cinematography||Anthony Di Ninno|
|Distributed by||Cinema Management Group (theatrical)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (home media)
|Release dates||Early 2015|
Ratchet & Clank is an upcoming 2015 American-Canadian 3D computer-animated science fiction action comedy film based on the platforming video game series of the same name by Insomniac Games. It will be produced by Rainmaker Entertainment and Blockade Entertainment and distributed by Cinema Management Group. Series developer, Insomniac Games, will play a role in the film’s production, screenplay, character development, and animation consulting. The film will be directed by Kevin Munroe and Jericca Cleland, and feature an original story written by the original Insomniac Games writer TJ Fixman as well as featuring the same voice cast to reprise their respective roles and utilizing assets from the video games in the film. It is currently scheduled for a theatrical release in early 2015.
The film will be an origin story that retells the events of the original Ratchet & Clank, depicting how Ratchet and Clank met each other as they attempt to save the Solana Galaxy from Chairman Drek and the Blarg. However, the film will expand on various plot points in greater detail, and will also incorporate some elements from later series entries, such as Doctor Nefarious and the Galactic Rangers.
The film will feature returning voice actors from the series, reprising their original roles from the video games.
- James Arnold Taylor as Ratchet, Clank's Lombax friend and one of the main protagonists.
- David Kaye as Clank, Ratchet's robot friend and one of the main protagonists.
- Jim Ward as Captain Qwark, a galactic 'superhero' and celebrity.
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Supreme Executive Chairman Drek, the Blarg leader and the main antagonist.
- Armin Shimerman as Doctor Nefarious, a robotic supervillian with a vendetta against Captain Qwark and organic life forms.
- Michael Bell as Lawrence, Dr. Nefarious' robotic butler.
The film adaptation was announced on the PlayStation Blog on April 23, 2013, alongside with the first official trailer released on YouTube, for a 2015 theatrical release. The film is being produced at Rainmaker Entertainment's Vancouver studio in Canada, and will be executively produced by Michael Hefferon, President of Rainmaker Entertainment. The film will tap on Insomniac Games' vast asset library from their Ratchet & Clank video games, while creating their own new unique locations and characters.
The film is set for a theatrical release in early 2015. A teaser trailer was posted on YouTube on April 23, 2013. During Sony's press conference at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo on June 9, 2014, the first trailer for the film was revealed.
- Gaudiosi, John. "Sony PlayStation Franchise Ratchet And Clank Goes Hollywood With 3D Feature Film". Forbes. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- Stevenson, James. "First Video: Ratchet & Clank Movie Hits Theaters 2015". PlayStation Blog. Sony Computer Entertainment. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- Carle, Chris. "Ratchet and Clank Animated Movie Headed to Theaters". IGN. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "Ratchet and Clank Official Teaser #1 (2015) - Video Game Movie". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- Graser, Marc. "‘Ratchet & Clank’ Games Get Film Treatment (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "Ratchet & Clank Film Trailer - E3 2014". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-06-09.