Location in Kootenai County and the state of Idaho
|• Mayor||Vic Holmes|
|• Total||4.95 sq mi (12.82 km2)|
|• Land||4.95 sq mi (12.82 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,211 ft (674 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||7,024|
|• Density||1,379.0/sq mi (532.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0398027|
Rathdrum is a city in Kootenai County, Idaho, United States. The population was 6,826 at the 2010 census, up from 4816 in 2000. It is part of the Coeur d'Alene Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes the entire county. It is named after Rathdrum in Ireland.
In the 1800's the town was initially called Westwood in honor of one of the founders of the town, a Pony Express rider and rancher, Charles Wesley Wood, also known as "Wes." But in 1881 the postmaster in the town was informed by the federal government that the town would need to change its name since it was already taken by another town in the territory. A local businessman, Michael M. Cowley, recommended the name "Rathdrum" from County Wicklow in Ireland, his place of birth.
As of the census of 2010, there were 6,826 people, 2,427 households, and 1,852 families residing in the city. The population density was 1380.38 people per square mile (490.83/km²). There were 2,561 housing units at an average density of 517.90 per square mile (199.97/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.0% White, 0.2% African American, 1.1% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.8% from other races, and 2.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.6% of the population.
There were 2,427 households of which 42.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.4% were married couples living together, 13.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.7% were non-families. 18.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the city the population was spread out with 16.7% under the age of 20, 57.4% from 20 to 64, and 8.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32.3 years. Females represented the majority of the population at 51.6%, with males in the minority at 48.4%.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Spokesman-Review - 2010 census - Rathdrum, Idaho - accessed 2011-12-13
- "Quickfacts: Rathdrum, Idaho". United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2010. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- How an Irish pioneer named the town of Rathdrum, Idaho after his village Irish Central, 6 Feb 2015
- Moffatt, Riley. Population History of Western U.S. Cities & Towns, 1850-1990. Lanham: Scarecrow, 1996, 97.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Official website - City of Rathdrum
- Rathdrum Chamber of Commerce
- Lakeland Joint School District #272 - public schools
- FYI North Idaho.com - Rathdrum
- The Rathdrum Star - weekly newspaper