Queen Ratna of Nepal
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2006)|
Ratna Rajya Laxmi Devi Shah (born 19 August 1928) was Queen consort of Nepal from 1955 to 1972 and Queen Mother from 1972 to 2008 when the royal family were stripped of all titles and privileges. She was technically the Queen Grandmother of Nepal for three days following the Nepalese royal massacre in 2001.
She is the second wife of King Mahendra of Nepal (1920–1972). Queen Ratna belongs to the aristocratic Rana family and is the daughter of Late Honorary General Hari Shamsher Jang Bahadur Rana and his wife, Megha Kumari Rajya Laxmi.
Ratna's older sister Indra had married Crown Prince Mahendra in 1940 but died in 1950. Two years later, Ratna married Mahendra. There were no children by this marriage; Mahendra already had three sons and three daughters by Indra. She became Queen Consort after Mahendra's father King Tribhuvan died in 1955.
Titles and styles
- 1928 – 1952: Lady Ratna Rajya Lakshmi Devi
- 1952 – 1955: Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Nepal
- 1955 – 1972: Her Majesty The Queen of Nepal
- 1972 – 2001: Her Majesty The Queen Mother of Nepal
- 1–4 June 2001: Her Majesty The Queen Grandmother of Nepal
- 4 June 2001 – 2008: Her Majesty The Queen Mother of Nepal
- 2008 – present: Her Majesty Queen Ratna of Nepal (titular)
- Nepal Pratap Bhaskara.
- Order of Ojaswi Rajanya.
- Tribhuvan Order of the Footprint of Democracy (02/05/1956).
- Order of the Footprint of Nepal (16/12/1962).
- Ati-Suvikhyata Sewalankar Padaka Medal.
- King Mahendra Investiture Medal (02/05/1956).
- King Birendra Investiture Medal (24/02/1975).
- Commemorative Silver Jubilee Medal of King Birendra (31/01/1997).
- King Gyanendra Investiture Medal (04/06/2001).
- Japan : Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown (19/04/1960).
- Germany : Dame Grand Cross Special Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1964).
- Netherlands : Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion (21/04/1967).
- Laos : Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Million Elephants and the White Parasol (1970).
- Philippines : Golden Heart Medal 1st Class (1971).
- Pakistan : Nishan-e-Imtiaz (1970).
- Iran : Commemorative Medal of the 2500th Anniversary of the founding of the Persian Empire (14/10/1971).
|Queen Consort of Nepal