|IATA: RTC – ICAO: VARG|
|Operator||Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation|
|Serves||Ratnagiri, Konkan division, Maharashtra, India|
|Elevation AMSL||93 m / 305 ft|
Maharashtra in India
|Sources: WAD, GCM, STV|
The airport was built in 1973 by the Public Works Department, Government of India. It was transferred to the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation(MIDC) for upgradation, expansion and maintenance in 1997. During the 2008 winter session of the state legislature, the Maharashtra State Cabinet decided to hand over the airport to the Indian Coast Guard for setting up an air station. It proposed to hand over 41 hectares of airport land and another 19 hectares of MIDC land to the defence ministry .
Coast Guard Air Station
The Indian Coast Guard have taken over the airstrip at Ratnagiri and will develop it into its first full-fledged air station in Maharashtra. The Air station will play a crucial role in maritime surveillance and search & rescue operations.
Airlines and destinations
No scheduled commercial air service at this time.
- Airport information for VARG at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Airport information for VARG at Great Circle Mapper.
- Airport information for Ratnagiri Airport at Search (for) Travel website.
- "Airstrips in Maharashtra". Maharashtra Public Works Department. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- "M.I.D.C. Website". Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- "Coast Guard gets new airbase". Mumbai Mirror. 3 January 2009. Retrieved 3 Feb 2012.
- "Ratnagiri to have coast guard air station". ExpressBuzz. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 3 Feb 2012.