Ravenwood High School
|Ravenwood High School|
|1724 Wilson Pike
Brentwood, Tennessee, Williamson County, 37027
United States of America
|School district||Williamson County Schools|
|Asst. Principal||Reggie Mason, Robin Dickerson, Amy Maffei, Bridget Gorokhovsky|
|Number of students||2023|
|Color(s)||Red, Black, Gold|
|Mascot||Raptor, represented by Lance McCullers.|
|National ranking||200/(est.) 37,000|
|Yearbook||Eye of the Raptor|
Opened in 2002, the $24.5 million facility, designed by architect Charlie Johnson, progressively grew its student body, beginning with only 540 students in grades nine and ten, 32 teachers, and 7 staff members. Currently enrolling 1,915 students, Ravenwood aims "to become a model of successful community collaboration with the purpose of developing all learners to be able to work, learn and lead in the 21st century." The mission of Ravenwood is "to develop a community of learners that cultivates the intellect, ability, and character of each person within it."The school colors are red, black, and gold. The mascot is the Raptor, a bird of prey represented by the Red Tail Hawk. Ravenwood High School was ranked in Newsweek magazine's list of the top 1,000 public schools in the United States.
Most students at Ravenwood take four academic classes, two electives, one directed study, and a lunch/advocate period. Credits are distributed along a fairly standard path, with most students taking English, mathematics, foreign language, science, and social studies. One year and a half of physical education is also required. The standard high school diploma requires twenty-three credits. In addition, two honors diplomas are offered, the Williamson County Honors Diploma and the Ravenwood Honors Diploma. Ravenwood ranks students using weighted GPA.
Ravenwood offers Advanced Placement (AP) courses. AP Comparative Government and AP Environmental Science were added for the 2012-2013 school year. In 2005, 62% of students scored a 3 or higher on end-of-course AP tests, and in 2006, 77% of students scored a 3 or higher. For the year of 2011-2012, the pass rate for AP Statistics was a 96%, while the pass rate for AP US History was a 94% (77/82; 4.2 average).
Ravenwood also has a Media Center with multiple computers and labs for students and faculty to use as well as a library. The Ravenwood Media Center library holds over 16,000 online resources, books, magazines, reference works, audio-visual materials and equipment. Resources are remotely accessible to students and teachers./
Ravenwood High School is populated primarily through Woodland and Sunset Middle Schools, which are in turn populated by Kenrose, Nolensville, Sunset, Edmonson, and Crockett Elementary Schools.
Ravenwood provides many various athletic teams in which students are invited to participate. TSSAA-sponsored sports include:
- Cheerleading - 2009, 2010 State Runner-up, 2013 Medium Varsity State Champions
- Cross Country
- Dance- State Champions Jazz Division-2003,2006,2008,2009,2010,and 2012; National Dance Team Championships 2010 6th place varsity jazz, 1st place all-star jazz
- Football - 5A State Champions 2005, Runner-up 2006, 6A Runner-up 2014
- Golf - Girls Golf 2009, 2010 TSSAA State Runner-ups
- Tennis (girls) - 2010-2012 TSSAA State Champions
- Track & Field
- Volleyball - 2010 TSSAA State Champions, 2009 - TSSAA State Runner-up
Ravenwood is home to many club sports, including:
- Debate - 2014 National Qualifiers, State Champions, Carson Newman University Champions
- Technology Student Association - Tech Bowl Finalists. Public Speaking State Qualifier.
- Hockey - 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013 State Champions and 2011 State Runner-up
- Lacrosse Div I 2007 State Champions, Div II 2005 State Champions
- Rugby - Multiple Girls and Boys State Champions
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Skeet & Trap Shooting
- Table Tennis
The ACT exam is a graduation requirement. The current goal is a 25. In 2005, the average ACT score of Ravenwood was a 22.5, and in 2006, the average score was 23.8. In addition, all sophomores are required to take the PLAN, a pre-ACT course. In 2006, the average composite PLAN score for the sophomore class was 21.4, compared to the state average of 18.2 and the national average of 16.5.
- "Ravenwood High School". Directory of Schools. Williamson County Schools. Archived from the original on 2008-03-02. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "Mission, Vision". Ravenwood High School.
- Complete List of the 1,000 Top U.S. Schools (2011)
- "Ravenwood Report Card". Ravenwood High School.