|Ravi B. Grover|
February 17, 1949 |
|Institutions||Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
Department of Atomic Energy
Homi Bhabha National Institute
|Alma mater||Delhi College of Engineering, Indian Institute of Science|
|Known for||Indian Nuclear Program|
Dr. Ravi B. Grover is an Indian nuclear scientist and a mechanical engineer from Delhi College of Engineering, and a PhD from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. He is the founding director of the Homi Bhabha National Institute, a member of the Atomic Energy Commission, a fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, and World Academy of Art and Science. He is president of the Indian Society of Heat and Mass Transfer for the period 2010-2013.
He retired from his previous position as Principal Adviser, Strategic Planning Group, Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), in February 2013. Following retirement, he was appointed to DAE's Homi Bhabha Chair. His prior positions include Director of the Knowledge Management Group and Associate Director, Technical Coordination & International Relations Group at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC). He is a member of the World Nuclear University as a representative of the BARC training school.
Education and academic career
Ravi B. Grover completed his Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Delhi College of Engineering in 1970 and joined the staff of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre. He completed a PhD in mechanical engineering from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, in 1982.
He was awarded Dhirubhai Ambani Oration Award by Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers in 2008, Distinguished Alumnus Award by Delhi College of Engineering Alumni Association in 2009, Distinguished Alumnus Award by Indian Institute of Science and Indian Institute of Science Alumni Association in 2011.
On 15 January 2013, the Prime Minister of India conferred on him the Lifetime Achievement Award for the year 2011 for his outstanding contributions in the field of nuclear engineering, towards national initiative to open international civil nuclear trade, further development of framework for governance of nuclear power and human resource development. The citation for the award stated, “During a career spanning four decades, Dr. Grover has distinguished himself as an academic, research and development engineer and a science administrator. His knowledge of nuclear engineering and nuclear law has earned him the title ‘nuclear diplomat’.” Citation also acknowledges his role during negotiations in 2005 aimed at India joining ITER and he has been leading the Indian delegation to ITER Council since its inception.
Support for Peaceful Use of Nuclear Energy
Ravi Grover is well known in India as a proponent of nuclear energy as can be seen from his publications related to nuclear energy. He is an editor of the International Journal of Nuclear Knowledge Management.
Dr Grover along with his colleagues formulated a scenario for growth of electricity demand in India by taking into consideration economic growth, population growth, and improvement in energy intensity of GDP and formulating a possible supply mix considering India’s fuel resource base in order to delineate niche area for nuclear energy. This was the first such long-term forecast of electricity demand in India and firmly established the role of nuclear energy in India’s electricity mix.
Role in the Indo-US nuclear negotiations
Ravi Grover is one half of the Kakodkar-Grover duo who are chiefly responsible for the success of the Indo-US negotiations that culminated in the 123 agreement signed in July 2007. Anil Kakodkar and Ravi Grover were the technical advisors to India's politicians in the tense negotiations that led to the Indo-US nuclear agreement, a culmination of two years of painstaking negotiations.
Quoted from Frontline magazine, Volume 24 - Issue 16 :: Aug. 11-24, 2007:
Officials of the DAE called it “a fantastic team effort” and complimented the crucial, but low-key, role of Ravi B. Grover, Director of the DAE’s Strategic Planning Group. According to the DAE, Grover, who is also Director of the Knowledge Management Group of BARC, stood like a rock against the onslaught of American demands. While the core negotiating team comprised officials of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), India’s High Commissioner to Singapore S. Jaishankar, Joint Secretary (Americas) Gayatri Kumar and Grover, National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan and Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon stepped into the picture when the negotiations reached a decisive stage. In the final round in Washington in July, AEC Chairman and DAE Secretary Anil Kakodkar was available for consultations, although he did not participate directly in the negotiations.
- The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News
- Nuclear Knowledge Management
- [ http://www.asset.org.in/Archtechts%20of%20Indian%20Nuclear%20Programme.pdf ]
- The Telegraph - Calcutta : Opinion
- India and the US script nuclear deal- Hindustan Times
- 123 countdown to India-US nuclear deal- Hindustan Times
- Big deal: Both sides happy-India-The Times of India
- R B Grover, "Strategy followed by India in providing trained manpower for nuclear industry," Opening Keynote, International Conference for Knowledge Management in Nuclear Facilities, June 2007, Vienna, Austria
- R B Grover, "Development of Nuclear Energy Programme and the Role of Government and International Organisations," Special Symposium for the IAEA 50th Anniversary - Global Challenges for the Future of Nuclear Energy and the IAEA, April 2007, Aomori, Japan
- R B Grover, "Can Nuclear Energy be a Response to Energy and Climate in India," Energy and Climate Special Event, January 2007, New Delhi, India
- R B Grover, "Role of nuclear energy in India's energy mix," IANCS bulletin, p. 129, April 2006
- Anil Kakodkar and R B Grover, "Nuclear Energy in India," The Nuclear Engineer, Volume 45, No2, page 31-36, March/April 2004.
- R B Grover, "Indian experience in capacity building as a part of development of atomic energy programme," IAEA-CN-123/K2, 2004
- R B GROVER, "Technology and Knowledge Management in and by the Department of Atomic Energy, India," International Conference on 50 years of Nuclear Power – the Next 50 Years, organized by the International Atomic Energy Agency, Obninsk, Russia, June 27 – July 2, 2004
- R B GROVER and Subhash Chandra, "Scenario for the Growth of Electrical Energy in India," Energy Policy, 34,2006, pp 2834–2847.
- R B Grover, "Nuclear Power and Sustainable Development – a Perspective," IAEA Side Event at CSD-9, UN Secretariat Building, New York, April 19, 2001
- A K Nema, B K Pathak and R B Grover, "India – Nuclear Power for GHG Mitigation and Sustainable Energy Development," Nuclear Power for Greenhouse Gas Mitigation, International Atomic Energy Agency, November, 2000.
- R B Grover, "Nuclear Energy: Emerging Trends," CURRENT SCIENCE, Vol 78, No 10, 25 May 2000
- R B Grover, "Prospects for Nuclear Energy in South Asia in the 21st Century," Int. J of Global Energy Issues, Vol. 30, No. 1/2/3/4 2008, pp228 – 248
- R B Grover, "Nuclear Energy and India," Atoms for Peace: An International Journal, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2008, pp 68 – 82.
- R B Grover, "Policy Initiatives by the Government of India to Accelerate the Growth of Installed Nuclear Power Capacity in the Coming Years," Energy Procedia 7 (2011) 74-78.
- R B Grover, "Role of Nuclear Power for Green Growth: a Perspective from India," Energy Strategies Reviews 1 (2013) 255-260.
- Richard Black, "Nuclear university promotes atom power," 5 September 2003, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3083382.stm
- Press Trust of India (on Rediff.com), January 13, 2006 20:25 IST, India, US discuss civilian nuclear programme
- SHISHIR GUPTA, Sunday, February 19, 2006, 0138 hours IST, Indian Express, Burns back next week to touch up N-deal
- Monday, February 13, 2006 01:09:22 am The Times Of India, Invest in R&D to energise growth
- Tuesday July 31, 2007, "THE KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOUR," http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070731/asp/opinion/story_8126302.asp
- 22 July 2007, "Big Deal: Both Sides Happy," http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Big_deal_Both_sides_happy/articleshow/2223818.cms
- 3 August 2007, "123 Agreement addresses most concerns: nuclear scientist," http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/001200708031614.htm
- 3 August 2007, "123 pact addresses most concerns: Nuclear scientist," http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=493033
- 11 September 2008, "Manmohan hosts NSG ‘victory lunch’," http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/11/stories/2008091161091400.htm