|Location||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Opening||11 May 1961|
On 23 March 1960, the then Governor of Uttar Pradesh and a former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Bezawada Gopala Reddy laid the foundation stone of the auditorium. Built during the birth centenary celebrations of Rabindranath Tagore, the auditorium was constructed by the Government of Andhra Pradesh for over a year. On 11 May 1961, former President of India Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan inaugurated it to serve the cultural needs of the region.
The auditorium continued to be maintained by the Government of Andhra Pradesh. In 2005, renovation works were taken up after 44 years of its inauguration. As per that, the government spent ₹15 million (US$240,000) to improve the interiors, lighting, acoustics, air-conditioning, stage, green room. The seating area was totally refurbished to give state-of-the-art look to the auditorium. In addition, the building exteriors, landscaping, parking areas, food courts and other facilities were also improved. For the renovation, the auditorium was closed for a month.
On 11 May 2010, the golden jubilee celebrations of the auditorium were organised by the Government of Andhra Pradesh. The Department of Culture helped in organising Kuchipudi recitals by Shobha Naidu and her troupe, and a Bengali ballet by the local Bengali society. In addition, the celebrations featured playback singer Kavita Krishnamurthy and violinist L. Subramaniam.
The auditorium's facilities can be leased by the general public for cultural programs. In 1981, the Government of Andhra Pradesh instituted a Department of Culture and entrusted it with the administration of this auditorium.
Telangana state is going to build NEW Ravindra Bharathi in the place of existing one. New building designs will beat Hi-Tech City. The design and architecture of the proposed new Ravindra Bharathi is getting good response from one and all.
The Telangana State CMO officially releases a first look designs of new Ravindra Bharathi auditorium with Day and Night View on 04-02-2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ravindra Bharathi.|
- "Year-long treat awaits art and culture lovers". The Hindu (Hyderabad). 8 May 2010. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "About Ravindra Bharathi". Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Ravindra Bharathi to be closed for renovation from August 1". The Hindu (Hyderabad). 3 July 2005. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- Gudipoodi, Srihari (13 May 2010). "Ravindra Bharathi turns 50". The Hindu (Hyderabad). Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Website on Ravindra Bharathi launched". The Hindu (Hyderabad). 8 November 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- New Ravindra Bharathi Building Designs
- HD New Design's of Ravindra Bharathi in telangana.