Ray C. Osborne
|Ray C. Osborne|
|Official portrait of Lt. Gov. Osborne
|9th Lieutenant Governor of Florida|
January 7, 1969 – January 5, 1971
|Governor||Claude Roy Kirk|
|Preceded by||Milton H. Mabry|
|Succeeded by||Tom Adams|
September 7, 1933|
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
|Died||March 3, 2011
Boca Raton, Florida
Raymond Claiborne Osborne, known as Ray C. Osborne (September 7, 1933 – March 3, 2011), was a Florida Republican Party politician who served as the first Lieutenant Governor of Florida under the state constitution of 1968 and the state's first lieutenant governor since 1889. Appointed by Republican Governor Claude R. Kirk, Jr., Osborne was sworn in on January 7, 1969 for a term that lasted two years.
In 1970, while Kirk sought re-election as governor, Osborne planned to run for the United States Senate in the Republican primary election against U.S. Representative William C. Cramer of St. Petersburg, whose nomination Kirk personally opposed. However, Osborne withdrew from the race when Judge G. Harrold Carswell of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, who had been repudiated by the U.S. Senate for a seat on the Supreme Court, entered the race for senator. Carswell hoped to confront the senators who blocked his appointment. Ultimately, Cramer was nominated for the Senate but lost the general election to the Democrat Lawton Chiles of Lakeland. Years later, Kirk said that he "should have stuck with Osborne" and not encouraged Carswell to run. Kirk also said that he had not "created" Carswell's candidacy, as many in the media had then depicted.
- "State Archives of Florida Online Catalog". State Library and Archives of Florida. Retrieved May 25, 2008.
- "Filming Florida: Images of the Sunshine State". State Archives of Florida. Retrieved May 25, 2008.
- "Portrait of Florida's first Lieutenant Governor William W.J. Kelly". State Archives of Florida. Retrieved May 25, 2008.
- Billy Hathorn, "Cramer v. Kirk: The Florida Republican Schism of 1970", Florida Historical Quarterly (April 1970), p. 411
- "Ray C. Osborne". Osborne & Osborne, P.A. Retrieved May 25, 2008.
- "Ray Claiborne Osborne Obituary: View Ray Osborne's Obituary by The Palm Beach Post". Legacy.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
Milton H. Mabry
from 1889 to 1969
|Lieutenant Governor of Florida
Thomas Burton Adams, Jr.
|This article about a Florida politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|