26 October 1924|
|Died||10 December 1998
|Occupation||artist, animator, film director|
Ray Goossens was born in Merksem, Belgium in 1924. Interested in animation from before World War II, he created the animation studio AFIM in Antwerp in 1940, together with Jules Luyckx and Henri Winkeler. They had 15 employees, including later famous comics artists like Bob de Moor and Jef Nys. They created a number of short animated movies, of which Smidje Smee was the most successful.
After the war, Goossens started working as a comics creator with Kleine Zondagsvriend, a weekly youth magazine. He created a number of series, some based on existing stories like Tijl Uilenspiegel and Reinaert de Vos, some new like Tsjoem (a parrot) and Snops en de bende. He also worked as an illustrator for different newspapers and magazines, including Gazet van Antwerpen.
He worked as an animator mainly for client's publicity purposes, and in 1959 became artistic director of Belvision, the new animation studios of Le Lombard, one of the major Belgian comics publishers. At first, they created series based on existing comics series like Oumpah-pah, Hergé's Adventures of Tintin or Chlorophylle. They also made the full length movie Pinocchio in Outer Space.
From 1965 to 1969 he worked as an independent animator and director. In 1967 he directed Asterix the Gaul, the first feature film based on this comic, and in 1969 he joined Dupuis, where he created with the animation studios a number of children's series like Tip en Tap, De Pili's and Musti, which was based on a character he had already created in 1945. He also directed a series based on the adventures of Boule et Bill.
Ray Goossens died in 1998 in Deurne.
- 1940: Rapi Roum and Metamorfose
- 1941: Hoe primmeke ter wereld kwam
- 1942: Smidje Smee
- 1947: De lamme maakt een ritje
- 1956: Wat 'n vader
- 1958: Paviljoen Wetenschappen for the Expo 58 world fair
- 1959: Van zilverzout tot zilverbeeld
- 1960: Van katoenbol tot filmonderlaag
- 1968: Er was eens, Hoera, ik ben vader! and In naam der wet
- 1959-1964: Hergé's Adventures of Tintin: The Shooting Star, The Crab with the Golden Claws, The Secret of the Unicorn, Red Rackham's Treasure and The Calculus Affair: in total 104 episodes of 5 minutes
- 1960: Le bosquet hanté
- 1961: Boothill Mc Gall, sheriff and Coin-coin
- 1964: Canard à l'orange
- 1965: Spaghetti à la romaine, Oumpah-Pah and Pinocchio in Outer Space
- 1967: Asterix the Gaul
- 1968-1982: Musti (52 episodes of 5 minutes)
- 1971: Tip en Tap
- 1973: De Pilis
- 1975: Boule et Bill and Bobo
- 1984: Trompo
- 1990: Musti: 104 new episodes
- 1986: Plons de gekke kikker
- 1956: First prize at the second Festival of the Belgian Movie, for Wat 'n vader
- Biography at Lambiek's Comiclopedia (focuses on his comics work)
- Biography in Dutch at Filmhuis Klappei (focuses on his animation)