In 1989 and 1990 he coached the Junior Kiwis, including a tour of Papua New Guinea. Haffenden also managed the New Zealand Kiwis in 1990 and 1991 under coach Bob Bailey, who he had challenged for the position. He continued to manage the Kiwis under Frank Endacott until 1995.
He was elected back onto the NZRL board and took over as chairman in November 2007. As chairman Haffenden took over in a time of turmoil and oversaw a SPARC review of the NZRL that led to its revamp in 2009. Haffenden's term as chairman ended with the restructure, however he was elected as the vice-chairman. Haffenden was part of the independent judiciary following the 2011 Bill Kelly Test match.
- Jessup, Peter (21 February 2009). "League: Haffenden reflects on a tough report". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- "Haffenden to guide NZ Rugby League out of crisis". The Press. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- Coffey, John. Canterbury XIII, Christchurch, 1987.
- Lion Red 1988 Rugby League Annual, New Zealand Rugby Football League, 1988. p.p.160-167
- NZRL Board nzrl.co.nz
- Lion Red Rugby League Annual 1992 New Zealand Rugby League, 1992. p.4
- "Butcher mad about NZ rugby league debt". Sunday News. 9 March 2008. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- Ray Haffenden must stand for NZRL election New Zealand Herald, 1 June 2009
- Walter, Brad (17 October 2011). "Kiwis prop denies targetting Lockyer's jaw". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 4 November 2011.