May 27, 1966 |
Pembroke, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)|
|Played for||Buffalo Sabres (1987–1990)
New York Rangers (1990–1991)
Detroit Red Wings (1991–1995)
San Jose Sharks (1995–1996)
Florida Panthers (1996–1998)
Carolina Hurricanes (1998–1999)
Florida Panthers (1999–2000)
|NHL Draft||60th overall, 1984
Sheppard was selected 60th overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft. He played 817 career NHL games, scoring 357 goals and 300 assists for 657 points. His best season statistically was the 1993–94 season when he scored 52 goals and 93 points for the Detroit Red Wings. He also played for the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks, Florida Panthers, and the Carolina Hurricanes.
Sheppard has been named the 2nd best golfer amongst athletes (of sports other than golf) by Golf Digest. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Panthers Alumni Association.
- Named to the NHL All-Rookie Team in 1988.
- Drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft in the 3rd round as the 60th overall pick.
- Acquired by the New York Rangers for $1 USD from the Buffalo Sabres in 1990.
- August 5, 1991 - Signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Detroit Red Wings.
- October 24, 1995 - Traded by the Detroit Red Wings to the San Jose Sharks for Igor Larionov and a conditional 1998 draft pick.
- March 16, 1996 - Traded by the San Jose Sharks, along with a 4th round pick in 1996, to the Florida Panthers for 2nd and 4th round picks in 1996.
- March 24, 1998 - Traded at the deadline by the Florida Panthers to the Carolina Hurricanes for Kirk McLean.
- November 15, 1999 - Signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Florida Panthers.
- Announced retirement at the end of 1999–2000 NHL season.
|1990–91||New York Rangers||NHL||59||24||23||47||21||—||—||—||—||—|
|1991–92||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||74||36||26||62||27||11||6||2||8||4|
|1992–93||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||70||32||34||66||29||7||2||3||5||0|
|1993–94||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||82||52||41||93||26||7||2||1||3||4|
|1994–95||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||43||30||10||40||17||17||4||3||7||5|
|1995–96||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||5||2||2||4||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|1995–96||San Jose Sharks||NHL||51||27||19||46||10||—||—||—||—||—|
- Golf Digest Ranks the Best Golfers from the World of Sports
- Ray Sheppard at www.hockeydb.com
- Tim Crothers (1994-03-21). "Ray Sheppard". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2009-01-23. "Ray Sheppard was once bought for a buck. As in four quarters. A crummy eight bits. In 1990 New York Ranger general manager Neil Smith actually paid that paltry sum for Sheppard. ... But two seasons later, after having scored just four goals in IS games, he was sent to the minors and then jettisoned by the Sabres in that $1 transaction with the Rangers."
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey winger born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|