Troll attended high school in Witchita, Kansas. He has a bachelors degree in printmaking and a MFA degree in printmaking in drawing from Washington State University. He came to Alaska in 1983 at age 29. He is a guitar player and vocalist in the Ketchikan band called The Ratfish Wranglers. His arguably most prominent and controversial work is titled SPAWN TILL YOU DIE. The design has been printed onto hoodies and is very popular with the citizens of Ketchikan and Southeast Alaska.
- Cruisin' the Fossil Freeway: An Epoch Tale of a Scientist and an Artist on the Ultimate 5,000-Mile Paleo Road Trip
- Planet Ocean : A Story of Life, the Sea and Dancing to the Fossil Record
- Raptors, Fossils, Fins & Fangs: A Prehistoric Creature Feature
- Rapture of the Deep: The Art of Ray Troll
- Sharkabet: A Sea of Sharks from A to Z
- Shocking Fish Tales: Fish, Romance and Death in Pictures
- Something Fishy This Way Comes: The Artwork of Ray Troll
- Woolsey, Robert (12 November 2010). "Troll's latest book has 'just the funny stuff'". Raven Radio, KCAW (Sitka). Retrieved 12 November 2010.
- "Ray Troll: A story of fish, fossils, and funky art". Washington State Magazine. Spring 2007. Retrieved 12 November 2010.
- Lyke, M.L. (22 October 1991). "Artist Ray Troll's Creations Are Filled To The Gills". Seattle Post Intelligencer (Seattle). Retrieved 12 November 2010.
- Open Thread – "Spawn Till You Die.", The Mudflat Forum