|Member of the Iowa House of Representatives
from the 31st district
January 10, 2005 – January 9, 2011
|Preceded by||Gene Maternach|
|Succeeded by||Lee Hein|
October 20, 1978 |
|Children||2 other children|
|Alma mater||University of Wyoming|
|Occupation||Correctional counselor and victims impact facilitator
Iowa National Guard
Ray Zirkelbach (born October 20, 1978) is a former state legislator. He served in the Iowa House of Representatives, representing the 31st District, from 2005 to 2011. He was deployed in Iraq as an Iowa National Guard sergeant, in the First Battalion of the 133rd Infantry. He works as a corrections officer at Anamosa State Penitentiary. He holds a BA from the University of Wyoming's Administration and Justice Program.
During his last term in the Iowa House, he was Chair of the Veterans Affair Committee and a member of the Agriculture, Labor, and Public Safety committees, as well as of the Justice Systems Appropriations subcommittee.
Zirkelbach was first elected to the Iowa House in 2004 with 8,712 votes, defeating incumbent Republican opponent Gene A. Mantemach. He was re-elected in 2006 with 8,447 votes, running unopposed. He was reelected in 2008 with 9,818 votes, defeating Republican opponent Dena Himes in a campaign that focused on ethanol, wind energy, and veterans affairs.
Zirkelbach endorsed U.S. Senator Christopher Dodd in the 2008 Democratic presidential primaries. He proposed a ban on the sale of imported flags (U.S. flag or Iowa state flag) in Iowa. He lost his bid for re-election in 2010 with 5,431 votes, losing to Republican Lee Hein.
|Iowa House of Representatives primary elections, 2004 
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2004 
|Democratic gain from Republican||Ray Zirkelbach||Democratic||8,172||54.1|
|Gene A. Mantermach*||Republican||6,910||45.8|
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2006 
|Democratic hold||Raymond Zirkelbach*||Democratic||unopposed|
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2008 
|Democratic hold||Ray Zirkelbach*||Democratic||9,818||65.8|
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2010 
|Republican gain from Democratic||Lee Hein||Republican||6,280||52.2|
- Phillips, Michelle (January 25, 2007). "Iowa Delegation Responds to Botched Announcement of Unit’s Extension". Anamosa Journal-Eureka (Jones County, Iowa). Retrieved 2009-03-18.
- Bragg, Mary Rae (October 28, 2008). "Voter Guide: Ray Zirkelbach" (PDF). Telegraph Herald (Dubuque, Iowa). Retrieved 2009-03-18.
- Squires, Lauren (Nov 5, 2008). "Zirkelbach answers call to serve, state and country". KWWL. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
In the 31st District for the Iowa House. incumbent Ray Zirkelbach won re-election, beating out Republican Dena Himes.
- Vu, Pauline (November 1, 2006). "Iowa Delegation Responds to Botched Announcement of Unit’s Extension". Stateline.org (Pew Center On the States). Retrieved 2009-03-18.
Iowa state Rep. Ray Zirkelbach (D) missed the entire 2006 session of the General Assembly because his National Guard unit was deployed to Iraq. Iowa House members draped an American flag over his desk on opening day. A legislative aide said no one filled in for him. Zirkelbach, who is running unopposed for re-election this year, currently is home on leave but will return to Iraq.
- Gearino, Dan (February 7, 2007). "Group seeks hazard pay increase for Guard troops". Quad-City Times (Davenport, Iowa). Retrieved 2009-03-18.
Rep. Ray Zirkelbach, D-Monticello, ... will miss the entire legislative session because his deployment was extended. He is a member of the 1st Battalion, 133rd Infantry, which was scheduled to return home in March but was extended to August.
- "Canvass Summary - Final - 2004 General Election (11/2/2004)" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2004-12-06. p. 25. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Official Results Report - Statewide, 2006 General Election 11-07-2006" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2006-11-21. p. 32. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "November 4, 2008 General Election Results". Iowa Secretary of State. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "STATE REP AND IRAQ WAR VET RAY ZIRKELBACH ENDORSES CHRIS DODD FOR PRESIDENT (PRESS RELEASE from Dodd for President)". October 12, 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-18.
State Representative Ray Zirkelbach, a veteran of the Iraq War and a Purple Heart recipient, announced today that he is endorsing Chris Dodd for President.
- Potratz, Chris (February 8, 2008). "Zirkelbach proposes ban on sale of flags not made in the U.S., sets up $625 fine". Iowa State Daily (Iowa State University). Retrieved 2009-03-18.
- "Official Results Report, General Election held November 2, 2010" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2010-12-16. p. 72. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Canvass Summary - Final - 2004 Primary Election (6/8/2004)" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2004-06-23. p. 32. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ray Zirkelbach.|
- Ray Zirkelbach official Iowa General Assembly site
- Ray Zirkelbach State Representative official constituency site
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
|Iowa House of Representatives|
2005 – 2011