|Member of the Kansas House of Representatives
from the 27th district
2013 – Incumbent
|Preceded by||Charlotte O'Hara|
October 18, 1939 |
Smith, Alberta, Canada
|Alma mater||Washburn University|
He served in Kansas Senate District 37 from 2011 to 2013. Shortly after the 2010 general election, when District 37 Sen. Jeff Colyer was elected lieutenant governor, Merrick was elected by Republican precinct committee members to fill the remainder of Colyer's term.  After redistricting for the 2012 elections, Merrick filed for House District 27, with the expressed intent of being elected House speaker.
He served in the Kansas House from January 6, 2000 to January 2011. Merrick served as House majority leader from 2007-2010, as speaker pro tempore from 2004-2006, and as assistant majority leader from 2002-2004.
Merrick is an active member of the American Legislative Exchange Council serving as both the Kansas co-chair and on the national board. He is the co-founder of Kansas Chapter of the National Association of Sportsman's Caucuses.
After college, Merrick was in the United States Marine Corps for several years and then began a career in sales for Folger's Coffee. He founded and owns MJM Management Company, a property management company for shopping centers in the growing southern suburban Kansas City region. Johnson County, Kansas. He previously served as senior vice president/general manager for both the Myron Green Cafeterias Company and Treat America.
Merrick's website lists some of his major goals as "tougher restrictions on sexual predators," "protecting Blue Valley and Olathe school districts," and "advocating responsible government and protecting our tax dollars."
His answers to the Kansas State Legislative Election 2004 National Political Awareness Test are available
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Merrick served on these House committees:
- Interstate Cooperation, chair
- Calendar and Printing, vice-chair
- Legislative Budget
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Merrick served on these Senate committees:
- Financial Institutions and Insurance
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Merrick served on these House committees:
- Calendar and Printing, chair
- Interstate Cooperation, vice-chair
- Legislative Budget, vice-chair
After redistricting for the 2012 elections, Merrick filed for the House 27 seat held Charlotte O'Hara, R-Overland Park. Merrick ran unopposed in the August 7 Republican primary and ran unopposed in the general election, on November 6, 2012. He was elected speaker of the House in a three-way race on Dec. 2, 2012.
O'Hara filed for the Kansas Senate District 37 seat being vacated in 2012 by Merrick. She placed second in a three-way Republican primary. Republican District 37 nominee Pat Apple, the District 12 incumbent, was unopposed in the November 6, 2012 general election. 
Merrick won re-election to the 27th District seat in the November 2, 2010 general election, with no opposition. He was also unopposed in the GOP primary.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Kansas co-chair and national board member
- National Assembly of Sportsmen's Caucuses, Kansas co-founder
- SCR 1602 Congratulating Kansas' Sesquicentennial. 01/28/2011
- SCR 1604 Constitutional amendment to preserve right to choose health care services and participate in health insurance plans. 02/09/2011
- SR 1847 Recognizing April as the Month of the Military Child. 04/27/2011
- SR 1851 Supporting the development of 4-H projects in south Johnson County. 04/028/2011
The top five business donors to Merrick's 2010 campaign were all professional organizations and corporations:
- 1. Sprint Nextel $1,000
- 2. Kansas Medical Society $1,000
- 3. Kansas Bankers Association $1,000
- 4. Glaxosmithkline $1,000
- 5. Koch Industries $1,000
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Candidates for the 2012 Primary (unofficial)," retrieved June 19, 2012.
- C-SPAN, "Kansas - Summary Vote Results," retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Kansas General Election Results," accessed November 7, 2012
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Raymond Merrick Biography
- Ray Merrick Official Website - Homepage
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Candidates for the August 7, 2012 Primary (official)," retrieved April 2, 2013.
- Kansas Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Kansas General Election Results," accessed April 2, 2013.
- 2008 Kansas Election Results
- - 2010 Campaign Contributions
- official website
- Senator Ray Merrick on the Kansas Legislature Site
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Kansas Votes profile
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Follow the Money campaign contributions: