Raymond Ndong Sima
|Raymond Ndong Sima|
|Prime Minister of Gabon|
27 February 2012 – 27 January 2014
|President||Ali Bongo Ondimba|
|Preceded by||Paul Biyoghé Mba|
|Succeeded by||Daniel Ona Ondo|
23 January 1955 |
Oyem, French Equatorial Africa (now Gabon)
|Alma mater||Paris 13 University
Paris Dauphine University
Ndong Sima was born in Oyem, located in the north of Gabon, and studied in France. He was appointed to the cabinet of the Minister of Planning and the Economy in 1986, where he was assigned responsibility for structural adjustment and relations with the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. In 1992, he was appointed as Director-General of the Economy; he remained in that post, while simultaneously retaining responsibility for structural adjustment, until 1994. He then worked as Director-General of Hévégab, a state-owned rubber company, from 1994 to 1998.
In the December 2011 parliamentary election, in which the ruling Gabonese Democratic Party (PDG) won an overwhelming majority of seats, Ndong Sima was elected to the National Assembly as a candidate in Kyé, located in Woleu-Ntem Province.
Prime Minister Paul Biyoghe Mba resigned on 13 February 2012. President Ali Bongo then appointed Ndong Sima as Prime Minister on 27 February 2012. His appointment was considered noteworthy in that traditionally the post of Prime Minister was given to an ethnic Fang from Estuaire Province, while Ndong Sima was from Woleu-Ntem Province in the north—although he was also a Fang. Prior to his appointment, Ndong Sima had not been considered a particularly important figure on the political scene.
Ndong Sima served as Prime Minister for nearly two years. Following local elections in December 2013, President Bongo appointed Daniel Ona Ondo to replace Ndong Sima on 24 January 2014. Ona Ondo took office at a handover ceremony with Ndong Sima on 27 January.
- "Raymond Ndong Sima : un homme d'action", GabonEco, 29 February 2012 (French).
- Gérald Mounomby, "Les deux vies de Raymond Ndong Sima", Business Gabon, 8 May 2008 (French).
- "Gabon : Le premier gouvernement du septennat d’Ali Bongo", GabonEco, 17 October 2009 (French).
- Yorick Kombila Manfoumby, "Gabon: « Le ministère de l'Agriculture est un département sectoriel qui contribue significativement à la croissance », Raymond Ndong Sima", Gabonews, 18 October 2009 (French).
- Georges Dougueli, "Gabon : Ndong Sima, un Premier ministre qu'on n'attendait pas", Jeune Afrique, 7 March 2012 (French).
- "Gabon: Ali Bongo nomme un natif du nord, Ndong Sima, premier ministre", Agence France-Presse, 27 February 2012 (French).
- "Gabon's president names new PM after local elections", Agence France-Presse, 24 January 2014 (French).
- "Daniel Ona Ondo a pris ses fonction", Gabonews, 27 January 2014 (French).
Paul Biyoghé Mba
|Prime Minister of Gabon
Daniel Ona Ondo