Raymond W. Baker
|Raymond W. Baker|
October 30, 1935 |
|Institutions||Global Financial Integrity|
|Alma mater||Harvard Business School (M.B.A.)
Georgia Institute of Technology
Raymond W. Baker is an American businessman, scholar, author, and "authority on financial crime." He is the president of Global Financial Integrity, a research and advocacy organization in Washington, DC working to curtail illicit financial flows.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2011)|
In 1996, Raymond Baker received a grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation for a project entitled, “Flight Capital, Poverty and Free-Market Economics.” The project took him to 23 countries where he interviewed over 335 bankers, politicians, government officials, economists, attorneys, tax collectors, security officers, and social scientists on the relationships between commercial tax evasion, bribery, money laundering, and economic growth.
A guest scholar at the Brookings Institution and Senior Fellow at the Center for International Policy, Mr. Baker is the author of "Capitalism’s Achilles Heel: Dirty Money and How to Renew the Free-Market System." He is an internationally respected authority on corruption, money laundering, growth, and foreign policy issues, particularly as they concern developing and transitional economies and impact upon western economic and foreign interests. 
In January 2009, Mr. Baker brought together a coalition of research and advocacy organizations and over 50 governments to form the Task Force on Financial Integrity and Economic Development - an organization which advocates for transparency in the global financial system. He served as the first director of the Task Force from its inception in 2009 through the beginning of 2013.
Mr. Baker is additionally a member of the High Level Panel on Illicit Financial Flows from Africa, established by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa in February 2012. The panel is chaired by former South African President Thabo Mbeki.
Mr. Baker serves as a member of the World Economic Forum's Council on Illicit Trade, and he has testified multiple times before congressional committees in the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate on money laundering, corruption, and illegal capital flight.   
Mr. Baker is also the author of “The Biggest Loophole in the Free-Market System,” “Illegal Flight Capital; Dangers for Global Stability,” “How Dirty Money Binds the Poor,” and other works.
- Garry Emmons, "$how Me the Money" (Boston, MA: Alumni Bulletin, Harvard Business School, June 2010)
- The Economist, "Storm survivors" (London: February 16, 2013) Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- John Dunn, "Out of Africa" (Atlanta, GA: Alumni Magazine, Georgia Institute of Technology, Winter 1994) Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "ANAK Graduates, 1950-1959". ANAK Society. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- About Raymond W. Baker, Global Financial Integrity Website
- Garry Emmons, "Q&A: Raymond Baker Explores the Free Market's Demimonde" (Boston, MA: Alumni Bulletin, Harvard Business School, February 2001)
- Raymond Baker, World Economic Forum, Accessed October 11, 2013
- "Baffling" banking laws must change, Swissinfo.ch, March 19, 2009
- Inauguration of the High Level Panel on Illicit Financial Flows from Africa, Africa Governance Institute, February 18, 2012
- "Illicit Financial Flows from Africa: The High Level Panel Concludes Consultations in Nigeria, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, May 29, 2013
- Global Agenda Council on Illicit Trade 2012-2013, World Economic Forum, Accessed October 11, 2013
- Criminal Money Laundering and Illegal Flight Capital, Testimony of Raymond W. Baker before the House Committee on Financial Services, March 9, 2000
- Capital Loss, Corruption and the Role of Western Financial Institutions, U.S. House Committee on Financial Services, May 19 2009
- Private Banking and Money Laundering: A Case Study of Opportunities and Vulnerabilities, U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee On Investigations, November 10, 1999
- Money Laundering: Current Status of Our Efforts To Coordinate and Combat Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing, Testimony of Raymond W. Baker before the U.S. Senate Caucus of International Narcotics Control, March 4, 2004
- , Global Financial Integrity Website
- , Capitalism’s Achilles Heel on Amazon.com
- , Raymond Baker's blog on the Huffington Post