|Nickname: Frog Capital of the World
Louisiana City of Murals
|Elevation||36 ft (11 m)|
|Area||9.89 km2 (3.82 sq mi)|
|- land||9.87 km2 (4 sq mi)|
|- water||0.02 km2 (0 sq mi)|
|Density||805.5 / km2 (2,086.2 / sq mi)|
|Mayor||Roland Boudreaux (elected 2012)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Rayne is a city in Acadia Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 7,953 at the 2010 census, down from 8,552 at the 2000 census. It is nicknamed the "Frog Capital of the World", as well as the "Louisiana City of Murals".
Roland Boudreaux, a Democrat, was elected mayor of Rayne in the general election held on December 8, 2012. He defeated his Republican opponent, Chuck Robichaux by a 13-vote margin, 1,355 (50.2 percent) to 1,342 (49.8 percent).
Rayne is located at (30.237379, -92.268175).
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,552 people, 3,183 households, and 2,228 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,476.1 people per square mile (957.1/km²). There were 3,480 housing units at an average density of 1,007.6 per square mile (389.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 65.55% White, 33.52% African American, 0.11% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.19% from other races, and 0.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.81% of the population.
There were 3,183 households out of which 35.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.1% were married couples living together, 20.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.0% were non-families. 26.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.6% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 20.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 85.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,369, and the median income for a family was $27,991. Males had a median income of $27,140 versus $14,980 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,588. About 24.5% of families and 29.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 38.2% of those under age 18 and 24.7% of those age 65 or over.
Other schools in Rayne include:
- Central Rayne Kindergarten - Pre-K and K
- Martin Pettijean Elementary - Grades 1-3
- South Rayne Elementary - 4-5
- Armstrong Middle School - 6-8
- Rayne Catholic Elementary
- Cajun musicians Harry Choates, Joe Falcon, Jo-El Sonnier, Amedée Breaux, Johnnie Allan, Lawrence Walker, and Tony Thibodeaux
- Joshua Benton, director of Nieman Journalism Lab at Harvard University
- Francis Dugas, former state representative for Lafourche Parish; born in Rayne in 1919
- Mike Heinen, professional golfer
- Donnie Meche and Gerard Melancon, jockeys
- Gerald Paddio, basketball player
- Josh Reed, LSU standout and NFL wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills and Denver Broncos
- Donald Trahan, Republican former member of the Louisiana House of Representatives for Lafayette and Vermilion parishes; former resident of Rayne
- Ed Zaunbrecher, American football coach
- Oscar Babineaux was featured as a performer of African American folk narrative by UL Lafayette folklorist John Laudun in an essay in the Journal of American Folklore.
- Huey "Tiger" Touchet, 2010 Louisiana Boxing Hall of Fame inductee
Rayne holds a yearly Frog Festival the second full weekend in November as of 2008. The festival, which used to be held on the first full weekend of September following Labor Day, attracts thousands of visitors.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Rayne city, Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- "General election returns, December 8, 2012". staticresults.sos.la.gov. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/0269fa3ee4ca49fabcd0ef6e2c7bc379/LA--Louisiana_Tornado/ AP via Indiana Republic
- http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20110305/NEWS01/110305004 The Daily Advertiser
- http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/05/louisiana.storm/ CNN
- http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2011/03/05/people-injured-louisiana-tornado/ Fox News)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- www.rayne.org "City of Rayne"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rayne, Louisiana.|
- City of Rayne official website
- Frog City: Rayne, Louisiana
- Rayne Acadian-Tribune at AcadiaParishToday.com