rdesktop connected to a Windows NT 4 host
|Stable release||1.7.1 / January 9, 2012|
Microsoft Windows (unofficial)
|Type||Microsoft Remote Desktop Services client|
rdesktop is a free, open source client for Microsoft's proprietary Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). It is released under the GNU General Public License and is available on Unix-like systems such as BSD and Linux.
As of April 2011, rdesktop implements a large subset of the RDP 5 protocol, including:
- Bitmap caching
- File system, audio, serial port and printer port redirection
- Mappings for most international keyboards
- Stream compression and encryption
- Automatic authentication
- Smartcard support
- RemoteApp like support called "seamless" mode via SeamlessRDP
Still unimplemented are:
- Network Level Authentication
- Client redirection upon reconnect (of disconnected session)
- Remote Assistance requests
- USB device redirection
Support for the additional features available in RDP 5.1 and RDP 6 (including multi-head display spanning, window composition and console connection) have not yet been implemented, although some have been officially documented on MSDN.
rdesktop is commonly used on desktop Linux installations to connect to Microsoft Windows computers running Remote Desktop Services, including Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Terminal Server, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows 7. There are many GUI clients, like tsclient, Gnome-RDP and KRDC (KDE Remote Desktop Connection), which are built on top of rdesktop. The program has also been integrated into several thin client Linux distributions like Thinstation and the PC TSC project, as well as some thin client appliances.
See also 
- windows build
- See for example, , ,  some documents of RDP 6.0
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
- rdesktop website
- KRDC - KDE Remote Desktop Connection
- Gnome-RDP - GNOME front-end for rdesktop
- xrdp - RDP server for Unix, based on rdesktop
- CoRD - A native Cocoa interface for the OS X port of rdesktop.
- properJavaRDP - rdesktop-based Free Java Remote Desktop Connection Client
- Rdesktop-Win32 - Win32 build of rdesktop