|Opened||3 August 2010|
|Platforms||Web, iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Mac OS X, Windows|
|Availability||United States, Canada, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Spain, Portugal, United Kingdom, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Netherlands, Belgium, Mexico, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Colombia, Chile, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Ireland, Italy, France, Latvia and Austria.|
|CEO: Drew Larner, Co-founder: Carter Adamson, Founders: Niklas Zennström, Janus Friis|
Rdio is an ad-free music subscription service. It is available as a website and also has clients for the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone mobile devices, which can play streaming music or cache songs for offline playback. There are also clients for the Roku and Sonos systems. The web-based service also offers a native desktop client application for Mac OS X and Windows. Its library has content from the four major record labels, as well as the Merlin Network and the aggregators IODA, INgrooves, The Orchard, CD Baby, IRIS Distribution, BFM Digital, Finetunes, and Catapult. Rdio also offers social networking, allowing users to share playlists and follow others to see what music they listen to.
On September 27, 2013, Rdio added music recommendations feature that will deliver personalized albums, stations. and playlists.
On April 2, 2013 Rdio launched Vdio, a movie and television show streaming service. Vdio is set up similarly to Rdio, except it follows a pay-per-view style. The service focuses on newly released titles from major Hollywood studios like Disney, Fox, Warner Bros. and Universal Studios.
Current Rdio subscribers were given US$25 in credit to spend on Vdio.
Rdio is currently available in the United States, Canada, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Spain, Portugal, United Kingdom, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Israel, Netherlands, Belgium, Mexico, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Colombia, Chile, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Ireland, Italy, France, Latvia, Austria and South Africa.
In 2013, Entertainment Weekly compared a number of music services and judged Rdio the best, grading it "A" and writing that it had "by far the best app and online interface, making database searching and playlist curation easy."
- "Rdio - Features". Rdio website. 2013-06-09. Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- "Music subscription service Rdio launches". USA Today. 2010-08-03. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Rdio music service throws open its doors". MacWorld. 2010-08-03. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- "Social Music Service Rdio Officially Launches". Digital Media Wire, Inc. 3 August 2010.
- "Rdio Music Service: Mobile, Social, Impressive -- and Now Open to All". PC World. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- Goode, Lauren (2010-08-06). "Q&A: Skype Co-Founder on His New Venture, Rdio". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- "Rdio Partners With Cumulus Media". Billboard. September 15, 2013. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "Rdio Launches Personalized Music Streaming Recommendation Feature On Web". CEOWORLD Magazine. September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Roettgers, Janko. "Four years in the making, Vdio finally opens up to Rdio subscribers in the US and UK". Gigaom. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Rdio offers launches Vdio for TV, movies". 3 News NZ. April 4, 2013.
- "Serviço de música Rdio chega ao Brasil" (in portuguese). Editora Abril. 2011-10-21. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Rdio sneaks into UK and France. Will you be using it?". GigaOM. 2012-05-03.
- "Rdio Arrives To Asia and Adds Seven New Territories". Rdio. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Rdio är nu tillgängligt i Sverige (in Swedish). Marcus Olsson. 2012-06-04. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- Rhian Jones (14 June 2013). "Rdio launches in Asia, expands to 7 more countries". Music Week. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Sean Ludwig (11 March 2013). "Rdio brings its 18M streaming songs to Mexico, Ireland, Italy, Iceland, & 3 other countries". Venture Beat. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Anderson, Kyle (January 18, 2013). "What's the Best Music Service?". Entertainment Weekly (New York: Time Inc.): 14.
|This music software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|