|Opened||3 August 2010|
|Platforms||Web, iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Mac OS X, Windows|
|Availability||United States, Canada, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Spain, Portugal, United Kingdom, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Israel, Netherlands, Belgium, Mexico, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Colombia, Chile, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Ireland, Italy, France, Latvia, Austria and South Africa.|
|CEO: Drew Larner, Co-founder: Carter Adamson, Founders: Niklas Zennström, Janus Friis|
Rdio is an online music service that offers ad-supported free streaming service and ad-free subscription services in 35 countries. It is available as a website and also has clients for the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone mobile devices, which can play streaming music or cache songs for offline playback. There are also clients for the Roku and Sonos systems. The web-based service also offers a native desktop client application for Mac OS X and Windows. Its library has content from the four major record labels, as well as the Merlin Network and the aggregators IODA, INgrooves, The Orchard, CD Baby, IRIS Distribution, BFM Digital, Finetunes, and Catapult. Rdio also offers social networking, allowing users to share playlists and follow others to see what music they listen to.
Rdio was created by Skype founders Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis on August 3rd, 2010. Both founders wanted to created a music service that is socially driven. They had the same motives as when they created Skype, an ad-free and reliable online service, though this time they had to compete with services such as Spotify, Napster, MOG and Rhapsody. On September 27, 2013, Rdio added music recommendations feature that will deliver personalized albums, stations. and playlists.
On April 2, 2013 Rdio launched Vdio, a movie and television show streaming service. Vdio is set up similarly to Rdio, except it follows a pay-per-view style. The service focuses on newly released titles from major Hollywood studios like Disney, Fox, Warner Bros. and Universal Studios.
Current Rdio subscribers were given US$25 in credit to spend on Vdio.
Vdio was shut down on 27-December-2013.
Rdio is currently available in the United States, Canada, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Spain, Portugal, United Kingdom, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Israel, Netherlands, Belgium, Mexico, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Colombia, Chile, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Ireland, Italy, France, Latvia, Austria and South Africa.
In 2013, Entertainment Weekly compared a number of music services and judged Rdio the best, grading it "A" and writing that it had "by far the best app and online interface, making database searching and playlist curation easy."
- "Rdio - Features". Rdio website. 2013-06-09. Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- "Music subscription service Rdio launches". USA Today. 2010-08-03. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Rdio is Now Free On The Web". 2014-01-16. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- "Rdio music service throws open its doors". MacWorld. 2010-08-03. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- "Social Music Service Rdio Officially Launches". Digital Media Wire, Inc. 3 August 2010.
- "Rdio Launches Personalized Music Streaming Recommendation Feature On Web". CEOWORLD Magazine. September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Roettgers, Janko. "Four years in the making, Vdio finally opens up to Rdio subscribers in the US and UK". Gigaom. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Rdio offers launches Vdio for TV, movies". 3 News NZ. April 4, 2013.
- "End of Vdio Beta FAQ".
- "Serviço de música Rdio chega ao Brasil" (in portuguese). Editora Abril. 2011-10-21. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Rdio sneaks into UK and France. Will you be using it?". GigaOM. 2012-05-03.
- "Rdio Arrives To Asia and Adds Seven New Territories". Rdio. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Rdio är nu tillgängligt i Sverige (in Swedish). Marcus Olsson. 2012-06-04. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- Rhian Jones (14 June 2013). "Rdio launches in Asia, expands to 7 more countries". Music Week. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Sean Ludwig (11 March 2013). "Rdio brings its 18M streaming songs to Mexico, Ireland, Italy, Iceland, & 3 other countries". Venture Beat. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Anderson, Kyle (January 18, 2013). "What's the Best Music Service?". Entertainment Weekly (New York: Time Inc.): 14.