|Opened||3 August 2010|
|Platforms||Web, iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Mac OS X, Windows|
|Catalogue||30,000,000+ songs |
|Alexa rank||5,258 |
|CEO: Anthony Bay, Co-founder: Carter Adamson, Founders: Niklas Zennström, Janus Friis|
Rdio is an online music service that offers ad-supported free streaming service and ad-free subscription services in 60 countries. It is available as a website and also has clients for the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone mobile devices, which can play streaming music or cache songs for offline playback. There are also clients for the Roku and Sonos systems. The web-based service also offers a native desktop client application for Mac OS X and Windows. Its library has content from the four major record labels, as well as the Merlin Network and the aggregators IODA, INgrooves, The Orchard, CD Baby, IRIS Distribution, BFM Digital, Finetunes, and Catapult. Rdio also offers social networking, allowing users to share playlists and follow others to see what music they listen to.
Rdio was created by Skype founders Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis on August 3rd, 2010. At the time they had to compete with services such as Deezer, Spotify, Napster, MOG and Rhapsody. On September 27, 2013, Rdio added music recommendations feature that will deliver personalized albums, stations, and playlists. On January 16, 2014 Rdio introduced some free streaming options, supported by audio advertisements.
On April 2, 2013 Rdio launched Vdio, a movie and television show streaming service. Vdio is set up similarly to Rdio, except it follows a pay-per-view style. The service focuses on newly released titles from major Hollywood studios like Disney, Fox, Warner Bros. and Universal Studios.
Current Rdio subscribers were given US$25 in credit to spend on Vdio.
Vdio was shut down on December 27, 2013.
Rdio is currently available in 60 countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
The functionality it offers differs from country to country.
In 2013, Entertainment Weekly compared a number of music services and judged Rdio the best, grading it "A" and writing that it had "by far the best app and online interface, making database searching and playlist curation easy."
Cumulus Media - On September 16, 2013, Cumulus Media announced a deal with Rdio that gave the second largest owner and operator of AM and FM radio stations in the United States an online outlet. This partnership gave Rdio broad access to its programming and promoted Rdio on Cumulus stations.
Launched in 2011, Rdio’s API allows developers to add music to a web or mobile application with the ability to search, access and play all of the artists, songs, albums, playlists, and charts in Rdio’s catalog.
- "Rdio - About Us". RDIO. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Rdio Site Overview". ALEXA. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Music subscription service Rdio launches". USA Today. 3 August 2010. Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Rdio - Availability". Rdio. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Rdio music service throws open its doors". MacWorld. 3 August 2010. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- "Social Music Service Rdio Officially Launches". Digital Media Wire, Inc. 3 August 2010.
- "Rdio Launches Personalized Music Streaming Recommendation Feature On Web". CEOWORLD Magazine. 27 September 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Rdio introduces unlimited free streaming alongside subscriptions". Ars Technica. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- Roettgers, Janko. "Four years in the making, Vdio finally opens up to Rdio subscribers in the US and UK". Gigaom. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Rdio offers launches Vdio for TV, movies". 3 News NZ. 4 April 2013.
- "End of Vdio Beta FAQ".
- "Rdio Expands To 60 Countries". Rdio. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Rdio free". Rdio. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- Anderson, Kyle (18 January 2013). "What's the Best Music Service?". Entertainment Weekly (New York: Time Inc.): 14.
- Darrell Etherington (31 March 2014). "Rdio Adds Chromecast Support For TV Music Streaming". TechCrunch. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Brittany Hillen (6 February 2014). "Tesla taps Rdio for integrated audio service in Europe". Slashgear. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Ben Sisario (15 September 2013). "Online Music Service Rdio in Deal With Cumulus". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Dante Cesa (1 November 2011). "Rdio gets rechristened 'Oi Rdio' while vacationing in Brazil, has plans to visit Germany and Australia". Engadget. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Pankaj Mishra (13 March 2014). "Rdio Acquires India’s Troubled Music Streaming Startup Dhingana To Push For Global Expansion". TechCrunch. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Leena Rao (11 March 2011). "Social Music Startup Rdio Pushes Play Button For API, Affiliate Program". TechCrunch. Retrieved 23 April 2014.