|Opened||August 3, 2010|
|Platforms||Web, iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Mac OS X, Windows|
|Catalogue||30,000,000+ songs |
|Alexa rank||5,258 |
|CEO: Anthony Bay, Co-founder: Carter Adamson, Founders: Niklas Zennström, Janus Friis|
Rdio is an online music service that offers ad-supported free streaming service and ad-free subscription services in 60 countries. It is available as a website and also has clients for the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone mobile devices, which can play streaming music or cache songs for offline playback. There are also clients for the Roku and Sonos systems. The web-based service also offers a native desktop client application for Mac OS X and Windows. Its library has content from the four major record labels, as well as the Merlin Network and the aggregators IODA, INgrooves, The Orchard, CD Baby, IRIS Distribution, BFM Digital, Finetunes, and Catapult. Rdio also offers social networking, allowing users to share playlists and follow others to see what music they listen to.
Rdio was created by Skype founders Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis on August 3, 2010. At the time they had to compete with services such as Deezer, Spotify, Napster, MOG and Rhapsody. On September 27, 2013, Rdio added music recommendations feature that will deliver personalized albums, stations, and playlists. On January 16, 2014 Rdio introduced some free streaming options, supported by audio advertisements.
On April 2, 2013 Rdio launched Vdio, a movie and television show streaming service. Vdio is set up similarly to Rdio, except it follows a pay-per-view style. The service focuses on newly released titles from major Hollywood studios like Disney, Fox, Warner Bros. and Universal Studios.
Current Rdio subscribers were given US$25 in credit to spend on Vdio.
Vdio was shut down on December 27, 2013.
Rdio is currently available in 61 countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
The functionality it offers differs from country to country.
In 2013, Entertainment Weekly compared a number of music services and judged Rdio the best, grading it "A" and writing that it had "by far the best app and online interface, making database searching and playlist curation easy."
Cumulus Media - On September 16, 2013, Cumulus Media announced a deal with Rdio that gave the second largest owner and operator of AM and FM radio stations in the United States an online outlet. This partnership gave Rdio broad access to its programming and promoted Rdio on Cumulus stations.
Launched in 2011, Rdio’s API allows developers to add music to a web or mobile application with the ability to search, access and play all of the artists, songs, albums, playlists, and charts in Rdio’s catalog.
- "Rdio - About Us". RDIO. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- "Rdio Site Overview". ALEXA. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- "Music subscription service Rdio launches". USA Today. August 3, 2010. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
- "Rdio - Availability". Rdio. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "Rdio music service throws open its doors". MacWorld. August 3, 2010. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- "Social Music Service Rdio Officially Launches". Digital Media Wire, Inc. August 3, 2010.
- "Rdio Launches Personalized Music Streaming Recommendation Feature On Web". CEOWORLD Magazine. September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "Rdio introduces unlimited free streaming alongside subscriptions". Ars Technica. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Roettgers, Janko. "Four years in the making, Vdio finally opens up to Rdio subscribers in the US and UK". Gigaom. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Rdio offers launches Vdio for TV, movies". 3 News NZ. April 4, 2013.
- "End of Vdio Beta FAQ".
- "Rdio Expands To 60 Countries". Rdio. May 19, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Rdio brings its music streaming service to India". Rdio. Retrieved Jan 15, 2015.
- "Rdio free". Rdio. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Anderson, Kyle (January 18, 2013). "What's the Best Music Service?". Entertainment Weekly (New York: Time Inc.): 14.
- Darrell Etherington (March 31, 2014). "Rdio Adds Chromecast Support For TV Music Streaming". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Brittany Hillen (February 6, 2014). "Tesla taps Rdio for integrated audio service in Europe". Slashgear. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Ben Sisario (September 15, 2013). "Online Music Service Rdio in Deal With Cumulus". The New York Times. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Dante Cesa (November 1, 2011). "Rdio gets rechristened 'Oi Rdio' while vacationing in Brazil, has plans to visit Germany and Australia". Engadget. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Pankaj Mishra (March 13, 2014). "Rdio Acquires India’s Troubled Music Streaming Startup Dhingana To Push For Global Expansion". TechCrunch. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Leena Rao (March 11, 2011). "Social Music Startup Rdio Pushes Play Button For API, Affiliate Program". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 23, 2014.