ReQuest Dance Crew
|Origin||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Genres||Hip-Hop, Waacking, Voguing, House dance, Popping, Dancehall, Lyrical hip hop, Polyswagg|
|Associated acts||Royal Family (with Misfits, Sorority, Duchesses and Bubblegum)|
|Past members||Irina Fraser
ReQuest Dance Crew (also known as ReQuest) is an all-female hip-hop dance crew from Auckland, New Zealand. ReQuest were formed in 2007, with originally five members. They are based out of The Palace Dance Studio in Penrose and Hamilton, and are one of five crews within the "Royal Family", alongside Misfits, Sorority, Duchesses and Bubblegum. Parris Goebel is the group's lead choreographer.
In 2009, ReQuest competed at the World Hip Hop Dance Championships (HHI) in Las Vegas. In their debut year, they placed first in the Varsity Crews division. They also placed first at the 2009 World Supremacy Battlegrounds (Varsity division) in Melbourne. ReQuest moved into the Adult Crews division in 2010 where they again placed first, ahead of Poreotics who won season 5 of America's Best Dance Crew that year.
ReQuest was featured in the music video for Vince Harder's single "I Want This Forever". In 2011, ReQuest successfully auditioned for season 6 of America's Best Dance Crew. They were the second international dance crew to be featured on the American show (after Blueprint Cru from Montreal, Canada in 2010), and the first crew from outside North America. ReQuest were eliminated in Week 4 of the competition.
They later returned to compete at the 2011 World Hip Hop Dance Championships as defending champions. ReQuest placed second in the Adult Crews division, behind Plague from the United Kingdom. The Royal Family won four medals for New Zealand at the 2011 event: three gold (Junior Division: Bubblegum; Varsity Division: Sorority; and Mega Crew Division: Royal Family) and one silver (Adult Division: ReQuest).
In 2012, group leader Parris Goebel was hired as a choreographer for Jennifer Lopez's Dance Again World Tour. ReQuest also performed with Lopez on the season 11 finale of American Idol, and featured in the music video for her single, "Goin' In". Later that month, they were crowned the champions of the Body Rock Dance Competition in San Diego. As a result of a meeting with international casting director Jamie King, who was working with Jennifer Lopez at the time, six members of ReQuest were contracted for Cirque du Soleil's Michael Jackson: One, based in Las Vegas. Parris herself was also contracted to serve as one of the choreographers for the show. Goebel was featured during season 15 of the US version of Dancing with the Stars, performing on stage with several dancers from ReQuest and Royal Family.
- Collins, Simon (19 August 2009). "Rousing welcome for world-beating hip-hop crew". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Tawhiao, Carly (20 August 2010). "ReQuest on top of the world". Central Leader. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Vince Harder - I Want This Forever". The Edge FM. 23 February 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Sundae, Hugh (18 March 2011). "Top NZ dance crew make American prime time". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Sundae, Hugh (2 August 2011). "NZ crews dominate World Hip-Hop dance champs". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Reid, Neil (27 May 2012). "Request hip-hopping to the top.". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- Reid, Neil (29 July 2012). "ReQuest for true success". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- Sell, Bronwyn (29 October 2012). "My happy place: Parris Goebel". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "AT&T Spotlight Performances: Parris Goebel". Dancing with the Stars: Season 15 (US). Retrieved 6 January 2013.
|Awards and achievements|
Sweet and Sour
|World Hip Hop Dance Championships
Winners – Varsity Crews
|World Hip Hop Dance Championships
Winners – Adult Crews