Reading Memorial High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Reading Memorial High School|
|62 Oakland Road
Reading, MA, Middlesex, 01867
|School district||Reading Public Schools|
|Asst. Principal||Laura Olsen
|Number of students||1362|
|Hours in school day||6.5|
|Athletics conference||Middlesex League|
|Team name||Rockets and Lady Rockets|
|Rival||Stoneham High School|
|Accreditation(s)||New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Massachusetts Department of Education
|Average SAT scores||1750|
|Graduation Rate||96.9 % (2012)|
|MCAS Scores, Grade 10||English:
97% Proficient or higher
96% Proficient or higher
|Website||Reading Memorial High School|
Reading Memorial High School (RMHS) is a four year public high school serving the town of Reading, Massachusetts, USA, as its only grade 9-12 school. Reading Memorial is managed by Reading Public Schools. The school has a student body of over 1,300 (2011) drawn from Parker Middle School and Coolidge Middle School. A new building renovation and construction project was completed for the 2007-08 academic year. Part of the Middlesex League, the sports teams are called the Rockets.
The Reading Memorial High School Girls Basketball program was the 2012 Division II Massachusetts State Champions. Reading Girls basketball capped an undefeated (25-0) 2012 season by defeating Central Champion Tyngsborough at the DCU Center in Worcester on March 17, 2012. This was the first state championship for Reading Memorial High School in the sport of basketball. The following year the team competed for the Eastern Division II Massachusetts State Championship, but fell in overtime to Medfield 59-51.
- Barbara Laughton (RHS '47) Miss Massachusetts 1948
- Danny McBride (RMHS '63), guitarist for Sha Na Na
- Bill Kelly (RMHS '67), recovered onside kick in 1968 Harvard-Yale football game
- John Doherty (RMHS '69) first baseman-designated hitter, California Angels (not to be confused with the current Superintendent of Schools for Reading, also named John Doherty)
- Brad Whitford (RMHS '70), guitarist for Aerosmith
- Mark Feeney (RMHS '75), Boston Globe arts writer, author of Nixon at the Movies: A Book about Belief and winner Pulitzer Prize for criticism, 2008
- Denise A. Spellberg (RMHS '75), associate professor of history University of Texas at Austin, author of Politics, Gender, and the Islamic Past: The Legacy of 'A'isha Bint Abi Bakr and Thomas Jefferson's Qur'an
- Geoffrey C. Beckwith (RMHS '76), executive director, Massachusetts Municipal Association
- Joan Feeney (RMHS '76), founding editor Epicurious.com
- Mark Erelli, folk musician.
- "Student Data". Profiles.doe.mass.edu. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Graduation Report Report (DISTRICT) - Massachusetts Directory Profiles". Profiles.doe.mass.edu. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Layman, Tom (3 March 2012). "Div. 2 Girls Final: Reading 48, Tyngsborough 27". ESPN Boston. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- Reading Memorial High School website
- Massachusetts Department of Education Profile of Reading Memorial High School
Boston College High School
|Super Eight Hockey Tournament Champions