|• Total||36.5 sq mi (94.5 km2)|
|• Land||36.4 sq mi (94.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,663 ft (507 m)|
|• Density||22.2/sq mi (8.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||05350, 05352|
|GNIS feature ID||1462184|
Readsboro is a town in Bennington County, Vermont, United States. The town was named for John Reade, a landholder. The population was 763 at the 2010 census, a decrease of 46 from the previous census. It was 857 as of 1859. Its hamlet, Heartwellville, aka. "Hooterville", borders Readsboro about 5 miles up Rt. 100.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 36.5 square miles (94.5 km2), of which 36.4 square miles (94.2 km2) is land and 0.1 square mile (0.3 km2) (0.27%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 809 people, 321 households, and 225 families residing in the town. The population density was 22.2 people per square mile (8.6/km2). There were 466 housing units at an average density of 12.8 per square mile (4.9/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 98.76% White, 0.49% Native American, 0.25% Asian, and 0.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.11% of the population.
There were 321 households out of which 33.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.1% were couples living together and joined in either marriage or civil union, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.9% were non-families. 25.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the town the age distribution of the population shows 24.6% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44, 25.5% from 45 to 64, and 17.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 100.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $35,000, and the median income for a family was $48,214. Males had a median income of $33,056 versus $21,964 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,911. None of the families and 7.0% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 9.2% of those over 64.
- Throope Chapman, one of the Readsboro founders
- Welcome Chapman, early Mormon leader, grandson of Throope Chapman
- Wayne Winterrowd (1941–2010), horticulturist and author known for his lush gardens in Southern Vermont
- Nick Zammuto, musician and founding member of The Books
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile for Readsboro, Vermont". ePodunk. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- Coolidge, Austin Jacobs; Mansfield, John Brainard (1859). A History and Description of New England, General and Local. Boston: A.J. Coolidge. p. 883. OCLC 12762947.
- Raver, Ann. "Wayne Winterrowd, Gardening Expert, Dies at 68", The New York Times, September 24, 2010. Accessed September 29, 2010