|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Headquarters location||Clerkenwell, London|
|Distribution||Grantham Book Services (UK)
University of Chicago Press (The Americas)
Reaktion originally focused on the fields of art, architecture and design – its first book was Ian Hamilton Finlay: A Visual Primer by Yves Abrioux. In recent years Reaktion's list has broadened substantially, and now also encompasses animal studies, Asian art and culture, biography, cultural studies, current events, fashion, film, food history, geography, general history, music, philosophy, photography, politics and sports history. Reaktion now produces around 70 new titles each year, and has about 500 titles in print.
Among the monographs released by Reaktion are studies of the Ottoman architect Sinan and the artists Delaroche, Holbein, Tintoretto, Bellini, Malcolm Morley, Leon Golub and Casper David Friedrich, of which the latter won the 1992 Mitchell Prize for the History of Art.
Reaktion also publishes many series of books, including Animal, short natural and cultural histories of individual animals; Edible, global histories of a particular food, drink or ingredient; and Critical Lives, concise critical biographies of important cultural figures.
Recent books of note from Reaktion include Twenty Minutes in Manhattan by Michael Sorkin, Travels in the History of Architecture by Robert Harbison, Boxing: A Cultural History by Kasia Boddy, and Owl by Desmond Morris.
Notes and references
- [dead link]
- Prudence Carlson (1925-10-28). "Little Sparta Ian Hamilton Finlay". Ianhamiltonfinlay.com. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Banks, Eric (2009-10-18). "Animals Reconsidered - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education". Chronicle.com. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- "Book Review: Bonnie Benwick on the Edible Series". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Lesley McDowell (2009-08-02). "Simone de Beauvoir, By Ursula Tidd - Reviews - Books". The Independent. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Stephens, Michael. "Library Journal — Library News, Reviews, and Views". Libraryjournal.com. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Non-Fiction Reviews (2008-06-06). "Conflict in the boxing ring". Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-08-27.