Real Estate (band)
|Origin||Ridgewood, New Jersey|
|Labels||Mexican Summer, Woodsist, Underwater Peoples, Half Machine, Domino|
|Associated acts||Ducktails, Alex Bleeker and the Freaks, Uncle Vin and the Vin Tones|
Martin Courtney, IV
|Past members||Etienne Pierre Duguay|
Real Estate was formed in Ridgewood, New Jersey by singer/guitarist Martin Courtney, guitarist Matt Mondanile (Ducktails), bassist Alex Bleeker (of Alex Bleeker and the Freaks), and drummer Etienne Pierre Duguay in 2008. In 2011 Jackson Pollis replaced Duguay on drums and Jonah Maurer joined the band on keys and guitar.
After issuing singles on the Underwater Peoples and Woodsist labels, the band's 2009 self-titled debut received critical acclaim, including an 8.5 rating and Best New Music tag from Pitchfork Media. Review aggregator Metacritic gave the album a normalised rating of 79%, indicating "generally favourable reviews". Tours followed supporting acts such as Girls, Kurt Vile, Woods, and Deerhunter. In 2010, Real Estate performed at the Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago and the Primavera Sound Festival in Barcelona. In 2012, Real Estate performed at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, California and the Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago.
In 2011, Real Estate signed with the Domino Recording Company. The group issued their sophomore record, Days, on October 18, 2011. The album received positive reviews, including a rating of 76% on Metacritic and 8.7 on Pitchfork. Later in the year, Real Estate was featured on the cover of Issue #76 of the Fader. 
- Reality (2009)
- "Fake Blues" b/w "Pool Swimmers" (7″ Woodsist, 2009)
- "Fake Blues" b/w "Green River" (7″ Half Machine, 2009) UK issue
- "Suburban Beverage" b/w "Black Lake" & "Old Folks" (7″ Underwater Peoples, 2009)
- "Out of Tune" b/w "Reservoir" (7" True Panther Sounds, 2010)
- "It's Real" b/w "Blue Lebaron" (7" Domino, 2011) UK issue
- "Easy" b/w "Exactly Nothing" (7" Domino, 2012) UK issue
- Stereogum nominates Real Estate a "band to watch"
- Knott, Alex. "Real Estate announce support acts for Electric Ballroom show | Music News". Frost Magazine. Retrieved 2013-02-01.
- McCall, Tris. "Ridgewood rocks: A slew of hot indie bands have roots in Bergen town", The Star-Ledger, August 1, 2010. Accessed July 27, 2011. "Al-Rawi turned the attic of his mother’s house into a studio, and there he recorded the debut album by Real Estate, Ridgewood’s best-known musical export."
- Pitchfork's review of Real Estate's self-titled debut album
- "Metacritic - Real Estate reviews". Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "Ola's Kool Kitchen on Radio 23 Real Estate Live Primavera 2010 : DJ Ola : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive". Archive.org. 2001-03-10. Retrieved 2013-02-01.
- "Metacritic review of 'Days'". Metacritic. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Pitchfork review of 'Days'". Pitchfork. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- TooCoolToDie's review of Real Estate's self-titled debut album
- Pitchfork's review of track "Black Lake"
- Domino | Albums | Days
- Real Estate Prep New EP
- Pitchfork's review of the track "Green River"
- "It's Real" 7" Single from Domino UK
- Listen to "Exactly Nothing" B-side on Indie Shuffle