||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)
Real Radio Wales is a regional radio station broadcasting from studios at Morganstown in Cardiff on various FM frequencies, DAB via the MXR Severn Estuary multiplex and across the UK on digital satellite TV (Sky Digital channel 0146). Global Radio acquired GMG Radio on 25 June 2012 with Real Radio now operated in a "hold separate" situation known as Real and Smooth Ltd.
The station was launched in October 2000, a year after the GMG Group won its first broadcast licence - after an introduction by Tom Jones, the station's founding managing director John Myers introduced the song "A Star is Born". In December 2008, GMG was awarded a FM licence to launch Real Radio in North and Mid Wales. Following an agreed format change request, the existing South Wales service has been rolled out to the new coverage area. The station began broadcasting on its North and Mid Wales frequencies at 8am on Tuesday 4 January 2011.
On 25 June 2012 it was announced Global Radio (the owner of stations such as Capital and Heart) had bought GMG Radio. The former GMG stations, including Real Radio, will continue to operate separately until a regulatory review is carried out.
Real Radio Wales is a music and speech station, playing a Hot AC format of classic, contemporary and current music the past 25 years to the present day.
The station also carries news bulletins every hour between the hours of 6am and 7pm weekdays and from 6am to 2pm on Saturdays and Sundays (including half-hour headlines at breakfast and drivetime) from Cardiff. Other bulletins are provided by Sky News through IRN.
Local presenters are based at Real Radio Wales's Cardiff studios. Networked presenters are based with Real Radio North West at Salford Quays, Salford. The Vodafone Big Top 40 is a networked chart show and is produced by Global Radio at the studios of Capital in Leicester Square, London.
Local presenters 
- Dave Brookes (Saturday & Sunday mornings)
- Jason Harrold (Monday–Friday drivetime)
- Simon Jagger (Real Radio Breakfast)
- Chris Wood (Real Radio Breakfast)
Networked presenters 
- David Heane (Sunday–Thursday evenings, Saturday drivetime)
- Marc Henry (Thursday–Friday overnights, Saturday & Sunday late nights)
- Elisa Hilton (Monday–Wednesday overnights, Friday & Saturday evenings)
- Jo Lloyd (Sunday–Friday afternoons)
- Debbie Mac (returns Summer 2013)
- Dave Miller (Saturday & Sunday overnights)
- Darren Parks (Monday–Friday mornings, Saturday afternoon)
- Carl Spencer (Saturday & Sunday early breakfast)
Syndicated presenters 
Former presenters 
Broadcast frequencies 
The station broadcasts an analogue signal across Wales on the 88 and 105–106FM frequencies. It also broadcasts a digital signal.
External links 
Coordinates: 51°31′55″N 3°15′28″W / 51.5319°N 3.2577°W