Romijn at The Heart Truth's Red Dress Collection Fashion Show, February 8, 2012
|Born||Rebecca Alie Romijn
November 6, 1972 
Berkeley, California, U.S.
|Years active||1991–2001, 2012 (model)
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Spouse(s)||John Stamos (1998-2005)
Jerry O'Connell (m. 2007)
Rebecca Alie Romijn (// roh-MAYN; Dutch: [roːˈmɛin]; born November 6, 1972) is an American actress and former fashion model. She is best known for her role as Mystique in the X-Men films and Joan from The Punisher (2004), both from Marvel Comics. She's also had a recurring role as Alexis Meade on the television series Ugly Betty. During her marriage to actor John Stamos, she was often credited as Rebecca Romijn-Stamos.
Romijn was born in Berkeley, California. Her mother, Elizabeth (née Kuizenga), is a Community College teacher of English as a Second Language and textbook author. Her father, Jaap Romijn, is a custom furniture maker. Her father is a native of Barneveld, the Netherlands, while her mother is an American of Dutch and English descent; she met Romijn's father while staying in the Netherlands on a teenage exchange program. Romijn's maternal grandfather, Dr. Henry Bernard Kuizenga, was a Presbyterian minister and seminary professor. When questioned about always being glamorous and beautiful on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Romijn revealed that as a child in her early teens she was in fact an insecure "drama geek", and as a result of her growth spurt she suffered from scoliosis and was constantly in pain. Many sources say that she was once nicknamed the "Jolly Blonde Giant" because of her 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 m) height, but she has admitted to making that up "for a laugh". While studying music (voice) at the University of California, Santa Cruz, she became involved with fashion modeling and eventually moved to Paris for more than two years.
|Romijn's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from February 12, 1999|
|Romijn's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from November 05, 2002|
|Romijn's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from February 17, 2006|
Among other jobs, Romijn started her modeling career in 1991. She modeled for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, Victoria's Secret, bebe, Miller Lite beer, and for Anna Molinari, Victoria's Secret and Giorgio Armani on the runway, along with the likes of Claudia Schiffer, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford, and Christy Turlington. She also was the host of MTV's House of Style from 1998 to 2000. Romijn has been featured numerous times in annual lists of the world's most beautiful women by publications such as Maxim (2003–2007), AskMen.com (2001–2003, 2005–2006) and FHM (2000–2005). She also appeared as a guest in the animated talk show Space Ghost Coast to Coast in an episode titled "Chinatown".
In 2000's X-Men Romijn had her first major movie role as Mystique; she returned to the role in 2003's sequel X2: X-Men United, and again for X-Men: The Last Stand (2006). In these movies her costume consisted of blue makeup and some strategically placed prosthetics on her otherwise nude body. In X2: X-Men United she shows up in a bar in one scene in her "normal" look, and also in X-Men: The Last Stand, she appears as a dark-haired "de-powered" Mystique. She had her first leading role in Brian De Palma's Femme Fatale (2002). She also has starred in movies such as Rollerball, The Punisher playing a woman named Joan, (Joan & Mystique are both from Marvel Comics) and Godsend. She played the leading role in Pepper Dennis, a short-lived TV series on The WB.
In January 2007, Romijn made her first appearance on the ABC series Ugly Betty as a full-time regular cast member. She plays Alexis Meade, a male-to-female transsexual and the sibling of lead character Daniel Meade. In April 2008, however, it was reported that Romijn would only be appearing as a recurring character in season 3 due to a change in direction by the writing staff (aligning, fortuitously enough, with Romijn's pregnancy, which would have been inconsistent with her character's storyline). In November 2007, Romijn made a guest appearance on the ABC series Carpoolers, where she played the ex-wife of the character Laird, played by her real-life husband Jerry O'Connell.
Romijn starred in the ABC series Eastwick, reuniting her with her former Pepper Dennis co-star, Lindsay Price, before ABC canceled the show on November 9, 2009. She appears in an uncredited cameo in the 2011 film, X-Men: First Class, and appeared as lab worker Jessie on the Adult Swim live-action show NTSF:SD:SUV:: for two seasons. Between June and September 2013, Romijn starred in TNT's series King & Maxwell as Michelle Maxwell, a former Secret Service agent who works as a private investigator.
Romijn attended the University of California at Santa Cruz in 1990–91, where she lived in dorm 1 at Stevenson College. She studied music and participated in the dorm talent show, singing a musical comedy routine with a high school friend who joined her at UCSC. During the summer following her freshman year, Rebecca began her career modeling and did not return for her sophomore year.
She married actor John Stamos on September 19, 1998. During her marriage, she used the name Rebecca Romijn-Stamos in both her personal and professional life. The couple announced their separation on April 12, 2004, and divorced on March 1, 2005. She has since returned to using her maiden name. It was revealed in an August 1, 2013 interview on Conan that Rebecca had never legally changed her name back from Romijn-Stamos, even though she has been divorced for nine years and re-married for six. The show's host Conan O'Brien stated that a staffer had noticed "Romijn-Stamos" on her driver's license and she said that she is too lazy to go to the DMV.
Romijn was asked by Elle magazine in April 2002 whether making Femme Fatale had given her any new ideas about her sexuality. She said, "You know, in my early twenties I wondered if I was interested in women and so I kind of, well ... did my homework. And it turns out I'm pretty straight."
On September 19, 2005, Romijn announced her engagement to actor Jerry O'Connell. They were married on their ranch in Southern California on July 14, 2007. On July 28, 2008, it was announced that Romijn was pregnant. Romijn and O'Connell welcomed twin daughters Dolly Rebecca Rose and Charlie Tamara Tulip on December 28, 2008. Dolly is for singer Dolly Parton's first name and Charlie is for O'Connell's brother.
|1998||Dirty Work||Bearded Lady|
|1999||Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me||Herself||Uncredited|
|2000||X-Men||Raven Darkholme/Mystique||Blockbuster Entertainment Award for Favorite Supporting Actress – Science Fiction
Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress
|2002||Femme Fatale||Laure Ash / Lily|
|Rollerball||Aurora||Nominated—Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actress|
|2003||X2||Raven Darkholme/Mystique||Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Liar
Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Actress – Drama/Action Adventure
Nominated—MTV Movie Award for Sexiest She-Villain
|2006||X-Men: The Last Stand||Raven Darkholme/Mystique|
|Man About Town||Nina Giamoro|
|The Alibi||Lola Davis|
|2010||The Con Artist||Belinda|
|2011||Possessing Piper Rose||Joanna|
|2011||X-Men: First Class||Raven Darkholme/Mystique||Uncredited cameo|
|1997||Friends||Cheryl||Episode: "The One with the Dirty Girl"|
|1998–2000||House of Style||Herself/Host|
|1999||Hefner: Unauthorized||Kimberly Hefner||TV movie|
|1999–2000||Just Shoot Me!||Adrienne Barker||8 episodes|
|2000||Jack & Jill||Paris Everett||Episode: "Starstruck"|
|2006||Pepper Dennis||Pepper Dennis||13 episodes|
|2006–2008||Ugly Betty||Alexis Meade||33 episodes;
Nominated—Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series (2008)
|2007||Drawn Together||Charlotte||Episode: "Charlotte's Web of Lies"|
|2009–2010||Eastwick||Roxanne Torcoletti||13 episodes|
|2011||Special Agent Oso||Miss Garcia||Episode: "Lost and Get Found"|
|2011||Chuck||CIA Agent Robin Cunnings||Episode: "Chuck Versus the Curse"|
|2013||King & Maxwell||Private Investigator Michelle Maxwell||Main cast|
- Rebecca Romijn Profile in the FMD-database. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Rebecca Romijn-Stamos Biography (1972–)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Rebecca rules. | Cosmopolitan (, 2000)". Accessmylibrary.com. 2000-07-01. Retrieved 2010-03-14.[dead link]
- "Rebecca Romijn Biography – Yahoo! Movies". Movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "The Rebecca Romijn Fanpage". Rebecca-fanpage.com. Retrieved 2010-03-14.[dead link]
- "Rebecca Romijn". The San Francisco Chronicle.[dead link]
- "Rebecca Romijn biography". Whoabc.com. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Rebecca Romijn Biography". People.com. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "FreeJose.com". FHM Magazine 100 Sexiest Women 2005. Retrieved October 11, 2006.
- Watch with Kristin – E! Online
- Dos Santos, Kristin (April 24, 2008). "Sources Confirm: Rebecca Romijn Now Recurring Role on Ugly Betty". E! Online – Watch with Kristin. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- "Watch with Kristin – Chatting with ''Carpoolers''' Designated Driver". Eonline.com. 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Witchy Woman – Diablo Magazine – September 2009 – East Bay – California". Diablomag.com. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Martin, Denise (2009-11-10). "Quick Takes – Los Angeles Times". Latimes.com. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Lovece, Frank, appearing as an older version of the character played by Jennifer Lawrence. "Film Review: X-Men: First Class", Film Journal International, 2011-06-02
- Vlada Gelman (January 15, 2013). "TNT Greenlights Private Eye Series Starring Jon Tenney and Rebecca Romijn". TVLine.com. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Rebecca Romijn Is Still Legally "Rebecca Romijn-Stamos"". teamcoco.com. 2013-08-01. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "Elle Interview". Rebecca-fanpage.com. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- Rebecca Romijn & Jerry O'Connell Are Expecting Twins, People, July 28, 2008. Retrieved August 2, 2008.
- Laudadio, Marisa (2009-01-05). "Rebecca Romijn Welcomes Twin Girls – Babies, Rebecca Romijn". People.com. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Gina Serpe (2009-01-05). "Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell Welcome Twins". ca.eonline.com. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rebecca Romijn.|
- Rebecca Romijn at the Internet Movie Database
- Rebecca Romijn at the Music Television
- Rebecca Romijn at the Fashion Model Directory
- Romijn-Online.Net – Rebecca Romijn Fansite
|Host of House of Style