Rebecca White Berch
Rebecca White Berch is a justice on the Arizona Supreme Court. On July 1, 2009, she began a five-year term as the court's Chief Justice, a position to which she was elected by her peers on the court. As chief justice, she succeeds Ruth McGregor. Berch has been a justice of the state's highest court since March 2002, when she was appointed to the court by Republican governor Jane Dee Hull.
Justice Berch began her career as an Associate and Partner with the firm McGroder, Tryon, Heller, Rayes & Berch, 1979-1985 before serving as Director, Legal Writing Program, Arizona State University College of Law, from 1986–1991, and 1994-1995. She served as Solicitor General for the State of Arizona, from 1991–1994, as Special Counsel to the Arizona Attorney General from 1995–1996 and as First Assistant Arizona Attorney General from 1996-1998.
Justice Berch joined the bench as a Judge on the Arizona Court of Appeals, Division I, from April 1998- March 2002. She served as a justice on the Arizona Supreme Court in April 2002 - June 2005 before becoming Vice Chief Justice in June 2005.
Awards and associations
- 2003 Rebecca White Berch Pro Bono Suite, Arizona State University College of Law
- 2002 Distinguished Achievement Award, Arizona State University College of Law
- 2002 Outstanding Alumnus, Arizona State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- 2002 Professional Achievement and Contributions Award, Arizona Women Lawyers' Association
- 1999-2000 Outstanding Alumnus of the Year Award, Arizona State University College of Law
- 1998 General Appreciation Award, National Association of Attorneys
- 1998 Outstanding Service Award, Arizona Attorney General's Office
- 1994 Distinguished Service Award, Arizona State University College of Law
- 1992 Outstanding Attorney of the Year, Arizona Attorney General's Office
- 1992 Outstanding Service Award, Arizona Attorney General’s Office
- Chair, Arizona Commission on Appellate Court Appointments
- Board of Directors, US Conference of Chief Justices
- Former Chair, Commission on Technology
- Former Chair, Maricopa County Trial Court Appointments
- Member, Commission on Judicial Conduct
- Member, Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee
- Board of Trustees, National Conference of Bar Examiners