Recognition of same-sex unions in Andorra
|Legal recognition of
*Not yet in effect
Andorra has established registration scheme for same-sex couples, titled Stable union of a couple, on 23 March 2005.
This new law took effect without the signature of the episcopal co-prince Joan Enric, the current Bishop of Urgell. Although the co-princes are both Chiefs of State for Andorra, only a single signature is required to sanction and promulgate new laws, and to order their publication in the Principality of Andorra.
The relationship is called "unió estable de parella" - stable union of a couple.
The couple must not be related in direct line by consanguinity or adoption, or in the collateral line by consanguinity to the fourth degree. Both partners must be adults or emancipated minors; must not be already married or in an existing stable union; must live as a couple; and at least one partner must be a resident of Andorra or an Andorran national.
The process of registration
The couple must submit an application accompanied by the following documents: A sworn declaration of cohabitation; a copy of the current passport or identity document of both partners; a certificate of residency for each partner (Andorran nationals are exempt from this requirement); a private pact signed by both partners setting out property and personal relations arising from the relationship and the rights and obligations of the relationship; a sworn statement by two witnesses confirming the permanent nature of the cohabitation.
The stable union is registered six months after the declaration and is then entered into the Register of Stable Unions.
Rights and responsibilities
A couple in a stable union have legal rights and responsibilities including the obligation to support one another; the right to compensation and maintenance in the event of a break up; the same rights as spouses for the purposes of social security and employment law. It also recognises the right to adopt a child, subject to the same rules as a married couple according to the law of adoption. But the adoption law only recognises this possibility for heterosexual couples.
A stable union ends by the marriage of either party; the death of either party; a unilateral declaration by formal written notification notified to the other party; or a mutual declaration.
On 21 April 2009, Jaume Bartumeu, leader of the Social Democratic Party, announced that, if the party won the 2009 elections, it would open up the debate on same-sex marriage in Andorra. The Social Democrats won the election and Bartumeu became Head of Government. Nevertheless, no clear commitment was subsequently given over whether, and when, same-sex marriage would be legalised. The Social Democratic Party did not have an outright majority in parliament however, and their agenda was stymied. This led to early elections called for 2011. General elections were held on 3 April, and the Social Democratic Party was defeated by the Democrats for Andorra, with Antoni Martí becoming Prime Minister.
In January of 2013, the Andorran Superior Court of Justice granted Social Security survivor's benefits to Juan García Pérez, who had married his late husband in Spain, but had never applied for domestic partnership status in Andorra.
- (Catalan) Llei 4/2005, del 21 de febrer, qualificada de les unions estables de parella
- (Catalan) Expedient previ al registre d'unions estables de parella
- (Catalan) Llei 29/1996, Llei qualificada de l'adopció i de les altres formes de protecció del menor desemparat
- (Catalan) DA regularà les adopcions per part de parelles homosexuals
- (Catalan) Proposició de llei qualificada de les unions civils i de modificació de la Llei qualificada del matrimoni de 30 de juny de 1995 i de la Llei 14/2004, de 3 de novembre, qualificada de modificació de la Llei qualificada de matrimoni
- (Catalan) El PS no descarta el matrimoni gai, tot i no ser una prioritat
- (Spanish) Andorra habla sobre matrimonio homosexual
- (Spanish) El matrimonio gay en Andorra no será tabú, según el Partido Socialdemócrata
- Andorra’s Supreme Court Advances Marriage Recognition
- (Catalan) El PS presenta una proposició de llei per permetre el matrimoni gai
- (Catalan) El PS entra una proposició de llei per regular el matrimoni homosexual
- (Catalan) Proposició de llei qualificada de modificació de la Llei qualificada del matrimoni de 30 de juny de 1995 i de la Llei 14/2004, de 3 de novembre, qualificada de modificació de la Llei qualificada del matrimoni
- (Catalan) DA diu NO al matrimoni gai
- (Catalan) DA rebutja el text del PS sobre el matrimoni gai i en fa un d’alternatiu