Recognition of same-sex unions in Jersey
|Legal recognition of
*Not yet in effect
Jersey allows civil partnerships for same-sex couples. The bill for legalisation was signed by the Queen on 14 December 2011 and registered by the royal court on 6 January 2012. The law took effect on 2 April 2012.
In August 2009, it was announced by the Chief Minister of Jersey that a civil partnerships bill would be drafted and be due for introduction to the Assembly of the States of Jersey in October 2009.
On 20 October 2009, the Assembly voted in favour of civil partnerships "in principle". The vote was 48 in favour, 1 against and 4 abstaining. The draft bill legalising civil partnerships was approved by the Council of Ministers on 24 March 2011 and introduced to the Assembly on 31 May. It was passed on 12 July 2011. On 14 December 2011, the bill received royal assent and was registered by the royal court on 6 January 2012. In March 2012, the government issued orders implementing the law, which took effect on 2 April 2012.
On 28 May 2014, the Deputy Sam Mézec of Reform Jersey party submitted a proposition asking the Assembly of the States of Jersey to support, in principle, the legalisation of same-sex marriage, and to request the Chief Minister to prepare the necessary draft legislation to give effect to the proposal. On 8 July 2014, the Assembly voted for the amendment to the proposal, introduced by Senator Ian Le Marquand, to request the Chief Minister to present a detailed study into the effects of allowing same-sex marriage by 31 December 2014. The amendment was passed by 24 votes to 18 and the amended proposition by 39 to 1.
- Jersey's civil partnership law comes into force
- "Jersey States to propose Civil Partnerships", International Finance Centre, 2 September 2009
- "Legal rights for same sex couples", BBC News, 3 September 2009
- Jersey votes to allow civil partnerships
- New rights for homosexual couples
- Strong States support for gay civil partnerships
- WRITTEN QUESTION TO THE CHIEF MINISTER BY DEPUTY J.M. MAÇON OF ST. SAVIOUR - ANSWER TO BE TABLED ON TUESDAY 3rd MAY 2011
- DRAFT CIVIL PARTNERSHIP (JERSEY) LAW 201
- Jersey States approves civil partnerships
- Vote for Draft Civil Partnership (Jersey) Law 201- Third Reading
- Jersey’s religious civil partnership rules near implementation
- Jersey recognises civil partnerships
- Civil Partners Causes Rules 2012
- Inquests and Post-Mortem Examinations (Amendment No. 8) Rules 2012
- Adoption (Amendment No. 3) Rules 2012
- Royal Court (Amendment No. 14) Rules 2012
- Civil Partnerships (Consequential Amendments) (Jersey) Regulations 2012
- Civil Partnership (Jersey) Law 2012 (Appointed Day) Act 2012
- Civil Partnership (Approved Premises) (Jersey) Order 2012
- Civil Partnership (Forms, Registration and Fees) (Jersey) Order 2012
- Marriage and Civil Status (Approved Premises) (Amendment) (Jersey) Order 2012
- Marriage and Civil Status (Forms, Registration and Fees) (Amendment No. 5) (Jersey) Order 2012
- "CIVIL MARRIAGES: SAME SEX COUPLES". States of Jersey. 28 May 2014.
- "Additional information for P.102/2014". States of Jersey. 28 May 2014.
- "Gay marriage proposition lodged by Reform Jersey". BBC. 28 May 2014.
- "CIVIL MARRIAGES: SAME SEX COUPLES (P.102/2014) – SECOND AMENDMENT". States of Jersey. 8 July 2014.
- "Same sex marriage law delayed in Jersey". BBC. 8 July 2014.
- "Gay marriage decision rejected by the States". Jersey Evening Post. 8 July 2014.
- "Equal marriage debate on hold". ITV News Channel TV. 8 July 2014.