|Founded||Cambridge, Massachusetts (2009 )|
|Founder||Andy Palmer, Christopher Ahlberg|
Number of employees
Using what they call a "temporal analytics engine", Recorded Future provides forecasting and analysis tools to help analysts predict future events by scanning sources on the Internet, and extracting, measuring, and visualizing the information to show networks and patterns in the past, present, and future. The software analyzes sources and forms "invisible links" between documents to find links that tie them together and may possibly indicate the entities and events involved.
The company was founded in 2008 by Christopher Ahlberg and had 20 employees as of November 2011. In 2009, Google Ventures and In-Q-Tel invested "under $10 million each" into the Recorded Future shortly after the company was founded. Google published this on May 3, 2010 In-Q-Tel is an investment arm of the CIA.
Product Al Qaeda report
In May 2014 Recorded Future released a report called "How Al-Qaeda Uses Encryption Post-Snowden (part 1)" Part 2 of the report was released on August 1 2014, supposedly with a strengthened "earlier hypothesis about Snowden leaks influencing Al-Qaeda’s crypto product innovation". The same day NPR aired Recorded Future claims of "tangible evidence" that Edward Snowden harmed national security by prompting terrorists to develop more sophisticated encryption programs. Glenn Greenwald and Andrew Fishman criticized the NPR report in an article on August 12, 2014.
Product Occupy Wall Street media monitoring report
In 2011 Recorded Future reported "gaining online momentum for the Occupy Wall Street movement. When we look more carefully at influencers in this discussion using our Influencer Map, we find that Iran Press TV is the second largest influencer after the US Media ![sic]"
- Holliday, Maynard; Holden, Chris (2014-07-15). "Advanced Web-Based Temporal Analytics for Arms Control Verification and Compliance". Science & Diplomacy 3 (3).
- "Recorded Future Inc.". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Cheshire, Tom (2011-11-10). "The News Forecast". Wired UK. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- Mastrull, Amanda (2010-05-04). "Google invests in company, Recorded Future, that tries to predict the future". The New York Daily News. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Shachtman, Noah (2010-07-28). "Exclusive: Google, CIA Invest in ‘Future’ of Web Monitoring". Wired. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- C (8 May 2014). "How Al-Qaeda Uses Encryption Post-Snowden part 1". recorded Future. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
The timeline above tells a compelling story showing how four to five months after the Snowden disclosures both mainstream AQ, as well as the break-off group ISIS, launches three new encryption tools.
- Dina Temple-Raston (14 August 2014). "Big Data Firm Says It Can Link Snowden Data To Changed Terrorist Behavior". Morning Edition. National Public Radio. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Glenn Greenwald; Andrew Fishman (12 August 2014). "NPR Is Laundering CIA Talking Points to Make You Scared of NSA Reporting". The Intercept. First Look Productions, Inc. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- holden (1 October 2014). "Iran’s Growing Influence & Occupy Wall Street Protests". Recorded Future. Retrieved 14 August 2014.