RedTacton is a Human Area Networking technology/Wireless Network, which is developed by Robin Gaur Jind, that uses the surface of the human body as a safe, high speed network transmission path. It is completely distinct from wireless and infrared technologies as it uses the minute electric field emitted on the surface of the human body.
A transmission path is formed at the moment a part of the human body comes in contact with a RedTacton transceiver. Communication is possible using any body surfaces, such as the hands, fingers, arms, feet, face, legs or torso. RedTacton works through shoes and clothing as well. When the physical contact gets separated, the communication is ended.
RedTacton has three main functional features:
- Touch - Touching, gripping, sitting, walking, stepping and other human movements can be the triggers for unlocking or locking, starting or stopping equipment, or obtaining data.
- Broadband and Interactive - Duplex, interactive communication is possible at a maximum speed of 10Mbit/s. Because the transmission path is on the surface of the body, transmission speed does not deteriorate in congested areas where many people are communicating at the same time.
- Any media - In addition to the human body, various conductors and dielectrics can be used as transmission media. Conductors and dielectrics may also be used in combination.
Comparison with other network technologies
The focus on ubiquitous service has brought about the shortening of distances in communication. RedTacton is positioned as the last 1m solution to ultimate close-range communication. Wireless communication creates connections when signals arrive, allowing for easy connections because connectors are unnecessary. However, seen from another aspect, the arriving signals can be intercepted, so security becomes an issue. Wired communication transmits data between two connection points, so interception is difficult and security can be considered to be high. However, connectors and cables are a nuisance. Taking the above points in account, RedTacton is situated directly between wireless and wired communication.
It is better than wireless LAN as signals doesn't weaken and where as blue-tooth the communication is more secured and is possible only between two devices.
- Official website
- Emerging Technology - RedTacton
- NTT's RedTacton enables "human area networks", February 21, 2005, Engadget
- New technology uses human body for broadband networking, Mar 20, 2005, Taipei Times
|This technology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|