Red FM (Malaysia)
Red FM (formerly known as Rediffusion Malaysia) is a private radio station that broadcasts across Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. It is managed by Star Rfm Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Star Publications (M) Bhd. Red FM began broadcasting on 1 September 2001 and is currently one of Malaysia's top five English radio stations.
The station is targeted at urban and suburban listeners, playing a selection of the best music from the 80's and 90's as well as current favourites. Recent listenership surveys have shown that Red FM is Malaysia’s fastest growing English radio station.
Promising its listeners using their slogan "Today’s Best Music", the station plays 40 Minutes Non-Stop Music – commercial-free – every hour from 11am to 10pm daily. This is in addition to the 104 Minute Music Marathon that happens every day from 9am to 10.44am.
The radio station originates back to 1949 as Rediffusion Malaysia by the first commercial cable-transmitted radio stations. In 1989, Arab-Malaysian Group acquired a 49%-stake in Rediffusion. It changed its name to Rediffusion Cable Network in 1991. In 1996, FM transmission was launched as a trilingual service. In December 1997, REDI-FM 98.8 was relaunched as a full-fledged Chinese radio station, ending the monopoly of the government-owned Radio 5 (now Ai FM) as the only Chinese radio station in Malaysia. The frequency of Rediffusion was changed to 91.5 FM, immediately, and it became a bilingual radio service. By the end of the year, cable transmission ceased. In 1999, the frequency was changed to 104.9 FM, but 91.5 FM was not taken over by any radio station, until 2001, when IKIM.FM (Malaysia's Islamic radio station) takes over the previous FM slot and began broadcasting. In 2003, RED FM was acquired by Star Publications (M) Bhd. The current reincarnation was in 2008, when it dropped the 104.9 in the RED 104.9 FM, to became RED FM only.
- JJ & Lil’ Kev – The Red Breakfast WTF (6am-10am Mon-Fri)
- The Red Rave with Jeremy (10am-2pm Mon-Fri)
- The Really Really Late Breakfast Show with Papi Zak & Kavin Jay (2pm-5pm Mon-Fri)
- The Red Rush with Adam C (5pm-8pm Mon-Fri)
- The Red Fix with Terry & Azura (8pm-12am Sun-Fri)
- Best of Breakfast (10am-12pm Sat)
- Red Buzz with Linora (4pm-8pm Sat & 12pm-4pm Sun)
- Red Beatz with Discfunktion (12am-1am Sun)
- The Red Room with Mynn (9pm-1am Sun)
- Love Classifieds - Red FM’s singles event where listeners get to meet new people, mingle with all the Red FM announcers, and perhaps find that special someone while having a great time with games, food and prizes. Past venues include Avilion Port Dickson, Luna Bar @ Pacific Regency Hotel Suites Kuala Lumpur, and Sky Bar @ Traders Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
- Skool Daze Live! - Red FM’s first ever Skool Daze Live party was held on 31 October 2009 at Rain Bistro, Plaza Kelana Jaya. The theme for the night was "School Uniform". After they had their fill of games, lucky draws and dinner, DJ Chinois entertained the crowd with a selection of school days anthems.
- 104.9 FM (Klang Valley, Negeri Sembilan, South Perak and West Pahang)
- 98.1 FM (Kedah, Perlis, Langkawi, Pulau Pinang, Taiping and North Perak)
- 106.4 FM (Ipoh, Kuala Kangsar, Cameron Highlands & parts of southwest Kelantan: Gua Musang)
- 91.6 FM (Kuantan & East Johor)
- 98.9 FM (Melaka, North Johor and Southwest Pahang)
- 92.8 FM (South Johor & Singapore)
- 91.6 FM (South Terengganu: Kemaman, Dungun)
- 98.9 FM (Tampin, Rembau, Gemas, Johol and Jempol)
- 98.2 FM (Taiping), inactive since May 2009, then replaced by high TX 98.1FM from Gunung Jerai, Kedah.
- 106.0 FM (Negeri Sembilan), inactive since June 2009, then replaced by high transmission power frequency from Gunung Ulu Kali, 104.9FM.
- 103.2 FM (Langkawi), inactive since Feb 2001.
- 101.2 FM (Tapah), inactive since July 2000.
- 107.6 FM (Penang), ceased transmission since 16 March 2014, then frequency slot was taken over by Capital FM in 17 March 2014.
Other Rediffusion stations:
- Rediffusion Television (Hong Kong, now known as Asia Television)
- Starcom Network - formerly Radio Distribution (Barbados) Limited
- Rediffusion Singapore