Red Gate (company)
|Type||Privately held company|
|Products||Microsoft SQL Server and .NET Development Tools|
Red Gate is a software company based in Cambridge, England. It develops tools for database developers and administrators and maintains community websites such as SQL Server Central and Simple Talk through its Simple Talk Publishing subsidiary. Since 2007 it has featured in the Sunday Timess list of the 100 best companies to work for in the United Kingdom.
Red Gate develops software tools targeted primarily at developers and administrators who use SQL Server and .NET. Red Gate tools include:
- Red Gate Deployment Manager: automates the release process for .NET applications 
- SQL Source Control: connects an existing source control system (TFS/SVN/VSS/Vault) to SQL Server 
- SQL Compare: compares and synchronizes database schemas 
- SQL Prompt: automated code completion and SQL reformatting 
- SQL Search: a free add-in for SQL Server Management Studio that lets you search across SQL databases 
- SQL Test: a plug-in to SQL Server Management Studio, powered by the tSQLt unit testing framework 
- SQL Backup: offers compression and other features like encryption and network resilience for SQL Server database backups 
- SQL Monitor: SQL Server performance-monitoring and alerting 
- SQL Multi Script: allows a user to execute multiple scripts against multiple SQL Servers with a single click
- SQL Data Compare: compares and synchronizes database contents
- SQL Packager: compares and synchronizes database schemas and contents and creates standalone .exe
- SQL Data Generator: given a database schema, generates test/dummy data into the database
- Schema Compare for Oracle: compares and synchronizes Oracle database schemas
- ANTS Performance Profiler: profiles the performance of .NET code
- ANTS Memory Profiler: profiles the memory usage of .NET code
- .NET Reflector: enables the user to explore and browse the class hierarchies of .NET assemblies, even if one does not have the code for them 
- SmartAssembly: obfuscates and protects .NET code
HyperBac Technologies (formerly known as Xceleon Technologies) was formed in 2005 from founding developers of SQL LiteSpeed, a backup compression utility for SQL Server which was acquired by Quest Software. On 22 March 2010, HyperBac was acquired by Red Gate Software.
Red Gate Springboard
In August 2009 Red Gate announced a new project called Springboard. Springboard was a startup incubator based in Cambridge, UK. For a period of three months Red Gate provided living expenses and mentoring for teams to work from Red Gate's offices. It was similar to Y Combinator and Techstars in that it provided a small amount of capital up front but was different in that no equity was taken.
Started in 2005, Simple Talk is an online technical journal and community hub for working Microsoft SQL Server and .NET developers, as well as systems and database administrators (The content published typically centres around Microsoft technologies, or open web technologies). The journal is sponsored by Red Gate, but retains editorial independence.
In addition to publishing articles, Simple Talk publishes books focusing on various aspects of SQL Server database administration and development, as well as .NET performance optimization – most of these are available in a digital format.
More recently, the publication has been trying to appeal more to web developers with a set of curated guides to understanding ASP.NET MVC, soliciting contributions from existing authors and members of the .NET community.
- Red Gate website
- Simple Talk (technical journal and community hub)
- Simple Talk: Web Developers (curated guides to ASP.NET MVC)
- SQL Server Central (SQL Server education and community website)
- All Things Oracle (technical journal)
- "Red Gate Software announce launch of new website". Telecomworldwire. 29 April 2005. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "8th: Red Gate Software". Sunday Times. 4 February 2007. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "39th: Red Gate Software". Sunday Times. 2 March 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "81st: Red Gate Software". Sunday Times. 1 March 2009. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "14th: Red Gate Software". Sunday Times. 28 February 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "21st: Red Gate Software". Sunday Times. 27 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "29th: Red Gate Software". Sunday Times. 26 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "17th: Red Gate Software". Sunday Times. 3 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Red Gate roadmap". Red Gate. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "About Red Gate Software". Red Gate. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- Cramblitt, Bob (2008-08-20). "The Future of .NET Reflector". Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- "Red Gate acquires HyperBac". Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Davidson, Neil. "The accidental incubator". Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Communities, Learning, and Events". Red Gate Software. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "About Us". Simple-Talk. Simple-Talk. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Books Home". Simple-Talk. Simple-Talk. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Books". Red Gate Software. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Simple Talk: Web Developers". Simple Talk. Simple Talk.