Red Hot Chili Peppers 2013 Tour
|Red Hot Chili Peppers 2013/2014 Tour|
Promo poster for the band's first ever shows in Alaska
|Tour by Red Hot Chili Peppers|
|Start date||May 11, 2013|
|End date||March 2014|
|Red Hot Chili Peppers tour chronology|
The Red Hot Chili Peppers 2013/2014 Tour is a concert tour by Red Hot Chili Peppers. The tour follows the band's almost two year long I'm with You World Tour which ended in April 2013. The tour, which will be scheduled around and during Flea's touring with his side project, Atoms for Peace, will feature mostly festival performances and performances in two locations for the first time in the band's 30 year history.
Due to this tour and other touring commitments by Flea with Atoms for Peace, the planned September 2013 start date for recording the band's eleventh studio album has been delayed. According to guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, recording will now likely not begin until December or possibly even until early 2014.
In May, the band gave a special performance for Dali Lama at the Dalai Lama Environmental Summit. The tour will also feature the band's very first shows in Alaska, where they had previously attempted to perform four times on the One Hot Minute Tour in 1997 however were forced to cancel dure to various problems including injuries, scheduling conflicts and drug problems. Tickets for the Alaska show were in such high demand, selling out in three hours which prompted the band to schedule another show there. They will also make their first trip since September 2011 to Brazil and will perform their first ever show in Paraguay.
The band performed a special benefit concert in October for Flea's Silverlake Conservatory of Music which was hosted by Flea and Kiedis and featured a special headlining performance by Neil Young. A silent auction was held and also featured donations from Marc Jacobs, Tony Hawk, Pearl Jam, Gucci and others.
Song selections for the setlist have not changed from the previous tour. Nothing new has been added to the setlists and songs from the I'm with You and the previous three albums along with Blood Sugar Sex Magik make up most of the material performed.
Anthony Kiedis/security guard scuffle
On June 21, 2013 and prior to Chili Peppers show that night in Delaware, Anthony Kiedis, who along with his tour manager, Gage Freeman and a female friend were attempting to enter the Four Seasons hotel in Philadelphia, PA to see the Rolling Stones before they left for their own concert when a security guard mistook Kiedis for a fan and made an attempt to block him from entering. A scuffle broke out with the guard attempting to slam Kiedis to the ground with hotel security, Freeman and a bystander coming to his aid. After a brief discussion with the guard and hotel security, Kiedis and the guard shook hands with Kiedis only response on the situation being "I love the Rolling Stones". The Four Seasons and the Rolling Stones management said the guard did not work for them however speculated he was a local guard hired to supplement their regular security team. Moments after the scuffle, the Rolling Stones exited the building to their awaiting limos.
Chad Smith/death threats
On November 8, 2013 while the band was in Brazil, the band's drummer, Chad Smith made an appearance at a drum clinic where he was presented with a soccer jersey a local Brazilian Flamengo team. Smith, who was appearing in the city of the team's hated rival, proceeded to jokingly place the jersey down his pants and threw it on the floor. Fans in attendance responded with boos and one person even threw an object at Smith, barely missing his head. Smith attempted to calm the crowd down telling them he was kidding and the only place that it's ok to hate something or someone is in sports. Following his appearance, fans took to the internet including YouTube in outrage over Smith's joke feeling it was completely disrespectful. Some fans issued more dangerous threats towards Smith by saying would be killed or pelted with grenades or rocks onstage when the band performed in Brazil. Smith issued a statement through Twitter starting "'I want to apologize for my inappropriate antics at the drum clinic, my joke about team rivalries went too far. Flamengo fans...I'm sorry" The post was accompanied by pictures of Smith wearing the Flamengo team jersey along with hanging out signing autographs for the team's supporters in attempts to further smooth over the situation. Smith even promised to wear the jersey for 24 hours and personally visit the team to apologize to the players. The band performed the following night without any problems.
List of songs played
|"Me and My Friends"||The Uplift Mofo Party Plan|
|"Higher Ground" (Stevie Wonder)||Mother's Milk|
|"Stone Cold Bush"|
|"Blood Sugar Sex Magik"||Blood Sugar Sex Magik|
|"Give It Away"|
|"I Could Have Lied"|
|"If You Have to Ask"|
|"Sir Psycho Sexy"|
|"Suck My Kiss"|
|"They're Red Hot" (Robert Johnson)|
|"Under the Bridge"|
|"Sikamikanico" (tease)||Wayne's World: Music from the Motion Picture|
|"Soul to Squeeze"||Coneheads: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|"Around the World"||Californication|
|"I Like Dirt"|
|"Right on Time"|
|"By the Way"||By the Way|
|"Throw Away Your Television"|
|"The Zephyr Song" (tease)|
|"Dani California"||Stadium Arcadium|
|"Especially in Michigan" (tease)|
|"Hard to Concentrate"|
|"She's Only 18"|
|"Snow ((Hey Oh))"|
|"The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie"||I'm with You|
|"Did I Let You Know"|
|"Factory of Faith"|
|"Meet Me At the Corner"|
|"Monarchy of Roses"|
|"Andy Warhol"||David Bowie|
|"Everybody Knows This is Nowhere"||Neil Young|
|"I'm Waiting for the Man"||The Velvet Underground|
|"Red Hot Mama"||Funkadelic|
|"Ride Into the Sun" (sung by Josh)||The Velvet Underground|
|"Sunday Bloody Sunday"||U2|
|May 11, 2013||Portland||United States||Veterans Memorial Coliseum|
|June 8, 2013[A]||Detroit||Belle Isle Park|
|June 21, 2013 [B]||Dover||Dover International Speedway|
|August 3, 2013 [F]||Vancouver||Canada||Kitsilano|
|August 5, 2013||Anchorage||United States||Sullivan Arena|
|August 6, 2013|
|August 11, 2013 [C]||San Francisco||Golden Gate Park|
|September 21, 2013 [D]||Atlanta||Piedmont Park|
|October 30, 2013 [E]||Silverlake||Silverlake Conservatory of Music|
|November 2, 2013 [G]||Belo Horizonte||Brazil||Mega Space|
|November 5, 2013||Asunción||Paraguay||Hipódromo de Asunción|
|November 7, 2013||São Paulo||Brazil||Arena Anhembi|
|November 9, 2013 [G]||Rio de Janeiro||Parque dos Atletas|
|March 29–30, 2014 [H]||Santiago||Chile||O'Higgins Park|
|April 1–2, 2014 [H]||Buenos Aires||Argentina||Hipódromo de San Isidro|
|April 3–5, 2014[I]||Bogota||Colombia||Parque 222|
- Festivals and other miscellaneous performances
- A This concert was a part of "Orion Music + More"
- B This concert was a part of "Firefly Music Festival"
- C This concert was a part of the "Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival"
- D This concert was a part of "Music Midtown"
- E This concert is a benefit for the Silverlake Conservatory of Music hosted by Anthony and Flea and including a performance by Neil Young
- F This concert was private and held at the home of Chip Wilson
- G This concert is part of "Circuito Banco do Brasil Festival"
- H This concert is part of "Lollapalooza 2014"
- I This concert is part of "Festival Estéreo Picnic"
Box office score data
|Venue||City||Tickets sold / Available||Gross revenue|
|Sullivan Arena||Anchorage||12,827 / 12,827 (100%)||$833,755 |
|Hipódromo de Asunción||Asuncion||19,710 / 20,050 (98%)||$1,015,590|
- Flea - bass, backing vocals
- Anthony Kiedis - lead vocals
- Josh Klinghoffer - guitar, backing vocals
- Chad Smith - drums
- Mauro Refosco – percussion
- Chris Warren – keyboards
- "Thom Yorke delays new Chili Peppers album". Fasterlouder.com.au. 2013-07-18. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "Anchorage, AK: UPDATED: Red Hot Chili Peppers to play Sullivan Arena | Play Blog". ADN.com. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- Jessica Ridgway (2013-05-20). "Red Hot Chili Peppers to Perform Two Nights in Anchorage - KTUU.com". Articles.ktuu.com. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "RHCP Singer Anthony Kiedis JUMPED Outside The Rolling Stones' Hotel! See His Scar Tissue HERE!". perezhilton.com. 2013-06-22. Retrieved 2013-06-22.
- "Red Hot Chili Peppers encabeza el espectáculo del Festival Estéreo Picnic 2014" [Red Hot Chili Peppers leads the spectacle Stereo Picnic Festival 2014]. El Colombiano (in Spanish). Latin American Newspaper Association. 5 November 2013. Archived from the original on 1 December 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Billboard Boxscore". Billboard (New York City, New York: Prometheus Global Media) 125 (35). 7 September 2013. ISSN 0006-2510. Archived from the original on 31 August 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Billboard Boxscore". Billboard (New York City, New York: Prometheus Global Media) 125 (48). 7 December 2013. ISSN 0006-2510. Archived from the original on 1 December 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.