Red River Zoo
|Location||Fargo, North Dakota, USA|
|Land area||33 acres (13 ha)|
|Number of species||85|
The Red River Zoo is a zoo in Fargo, North Dakota. The zoo's first 8 acres (3.2 ha) opened in the spring of 1999, and the zoo gained accreditation from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) in 2006. The zoo is open from May through September.
The zoo sits on 33 acres (13 ha) that was once a farm owned by the George Anderson family (the "Red River Ranch"). Some of the farm buildings were renovated and are used today by the zoo, and others were removed because they were unsafe. Although the original property was flat and had only 7 trees, hundreds of additional trees and shrubs were planted, and a series of 5 ponds created to landscape the area.
The Award Winning Red River Zoo is home to over 600 animals representing 89 species, including red pandas. It also includes a 1928 carousel that was fully restored in 1995 and donated to the zoo by the Diederich family. The zoo features a world class gray wolf exhibit featuring family of 4 wolves. They can be viewed from outside or inside a "trapper's cabin" that has two large viewing windows to observe the wolf family. In 2013 Otter Rapids is opening and will feature indoor and underwater viewing in thie new immersion exhibit.
The zoo specializes in breeding and exhibiting some of the world's rarest cold climate species, having successfully bred red pandas (11 births as of 2012, including two sets of triplets), Sichuan takin, Pallas's cats, and Russian Red Tree Squirrels.
The Red River Zoological Society
- "History, Mission and Vision". redriverzoo.org. Red River Zoo. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- "List of Accredited Zoos and Aquariums". aza.org. AZA. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- "Red River Zoo welcomes new arrivals". wday.com. Forum Communications Co. August 2, 2011. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- "Red River Zoo gets baby Sichuan takin". bismarcktribune.com. Bismarck Tribune. April 14, 2006. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- "ND zoo officials boast litter of 5 Pallas kittens". wday.com. Forum Communications Co. August 12, 2010. Retrieved May 15, 2012.