Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sidney Lanfield|
|Produced by||Edward Small|
|Story by||Humphrey Pearson|
|Music by||Alfred Newman (uncredited)|
|Cinematography||Robert H. Planck|
|Editing by||Grant Whytock|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Running time||80 minutes|
Red Salute is a 1935 American comedy film directed by Sidney Lanfield and starring Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Young. Based on a story by Humphrey Pearson, the film is about the daughter of an US Army general who becomes involved with a Communist agitator in order to annoy her father. The general has his daughter kidnapped and taken to Mexico, where he hopes she will forget her radical boyfriend and become attracted to a young handsome soldier.
Drue Van Allen (Stanwyck) plays the daughter of a general, in love with a Communist agitator. The general arranges for her to be taken off to Mexico against her will. Determined to return to Washington, she falls in with a rowdy soldier (Young) who more-or-less accidentally goes AWOL, crosses the border in a stolen military vehicle, and kidnaps an easy-going traveler (Edwards) to hide in his homemade trailer.
- Barbara Stanwyck as Drue Van Allen
- Robert Young as Jeff
- Hardie Albright as Arner
- Cliff Edwards as Rooney
- Ruth Donnelly as Mrs. Rooney
- Gordon Jones as Lefty
- Paul Stanton as Louis Martin
- Purnell Pratt as General Van Allen
- Nella Walker as Aunt Betty
- Arthur Vinton as Joe Beal
- Edward McWade as Baldy
- Henry Kolker as Dean
- Allan Cavan as Army Officer
- Ferdinand Gottschalk as League Speaker
- Selmer Jackson as Army Officer
- David Newell as Student
- Bill Schrader Student fighter, rally attendee
The original working title of the film was Her Uncle Sam. The film was made to cash in on the rise of radicalism in US colleges in the 30s. Filming started in June 1935. The film features the song "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now".
The film is also known by its reissue title Her Enlisted Man.
- CINEMA PRODUCER ADVOCATES ELIMINATION OF "B" FILMS Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 17 Sep 1935: 13.
- SCREEN NOTES. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 18 June 1935: 25.
- DRAMA AND FILM: Bromfield Kin Clicks; Hit Novels on Agenda Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 18 Dec 1947: A11.
- CROSBY IN PICTURE WITH FITZGERALD: Paramount Again Links Pair in 'Diamond in Haystack,' New Story by Beloin By THOMAS F. BRADYSpecial to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 19 Dec 1947: 34.
- Red Salute at the Internet Movie Database
- Her Uncle Sam is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more] (incomplete)
|This article about a romantic comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|