HM Prison Hewell
Category B and C buildings
from Hewell Grange Farm
|Security class||Adult Male|
|Population||1431 (as of June 2008)|
|Former name||HMPs Blakenhurst, Brockhill and Hewell Grange|
|Managed by||HM Prison Services|
|Website||Hewell at justice.gov.uk|
Hewell Prison is on the site of the Hewell Grange country house and estate, the former seat of the Earls of Plymouth and has open days for its park and garden. The estate was sold to the government c.1945 and in 1946 the main house was used as a Borstal. Over the years two other purpose-built prisons were built and opened on the estate: HMP Blakenhurst and HMP Brockhill, to hold other categories of prisoner, with enlargements. The Borstal itself was reclassified in 1991 to a Category D open prison, and renamed HMP Hewell Grange.
In January 2008, the Prison Service announced that the three prisons would merge to be managed by a single team. Its provisional name for public consultation was 'HMP Redditch', however local residents objected and in March 2008 it was decided to rename the site HMP Hewell. HMP Hewell was formally created on 25 June 2008, and is the first in an efficiency drive involving the creation of new Titan prisons in the United Kingdom.
The prison today
Hewell is a multiple security category prison for adult males. Category B, Category C and Category D prisoners are housed in different sites. The prison primarily serves the Worcestershire, West Midlands and Warwickshire catchment area. Accommodation at the prison is divided into 8 house blocks, 7 of which have single or double occupancy cells, and 1 house block which has dormitory accommodation.
Category B & C prisoners are employed in workshops providing Construction Industry Training, double glazing manufacture, industrial cleaning, waste management, laundry and contract services. Education offered includes ICT courses, ESOL, basic literacy and numeracy, art and cookery classes.
Category D prisoners also have access to external college courses, Open University distant learning, as well as a range of ICT, literacy and numeracy courses. Employment is provided throughout the estate including:
- Full-time employment via a Resettlement to Work Scheme.
- Hewell Grange Park and Garden - Grade II* - English Heritage. "Details from listed building database (1000886)". National Heritage List for England.
- "Prisons merge to create new jail". bbc.co.uk. 22 January 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- "Title change for 'super' prison". bbc.co.uk. 29 January 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- "Two prisons to shut in efficiency bid, MoJ says". BBC News. 13 July 2011.
- Ministry of Justice pages on Hewell
- HMP Hewell - HM Inspectorate of Prisons Reports
- HMP Brockhill - HM Inspectorate of Prisons Reports
- Aerial photo of HM Prison Hewell. Other map and aerial photo sources.