Redeemer Presbyterian Church (New York City)
Redeemer Presbyterian Church (PCA), founded in 1989, is a church located in New York City. Its senior pastor is Timothy J. Keller. Christianity Today called Redeemer "one of Manhattan's most vital congregations."
Redeemer draws around 5,000 attenders to its services each Sunday at venues on the Upper West Side, Upper East Side and Downtown. According to the Hartford Institute's research the congregations membership draws around 5,200. In a 2006 survey of 2,000 American church leaders, Redeemer was named the #16 most influential church in America. Redeemer has attracted members of the public such as young professionals, doctors, bankers, lawyers, artists, actors, and designers, many of whom are in their 20s and 30s.
In 1998, Tim and Kathy Keller wrote to The New York Times in response to an article, explaining that Redeemer was neither "hardline" nor "fundamentalist." The couple argued that whereas fundamentalist churches stress political issues and are hostile to the surrounding secular culture, Redeemer focuses on the "character, ministry and work of Jesus" and promotes a "highly positive view of New York City with encouragement to live here as good neighbors." The Kellers claim that these qualities "set [Redeemer] apart from the conservative megachurch movement, from 20th-century fundamentalism or from modern mainline Protestantism."
Through its church planting center, Redeemer has helped start over 100 smaller churches in the New York metropolitan area. With respect to planting and starting new churches in urban areas, The New York Times reported that "pastors from around the world are beginning to come in a steady stream to New York City to glean what they can from Dr. Keller and Redeemer." In 2012, the church bought a parking garage at 150 West 83rd Street on the Upper West Side for conversion to a church building of its own. The church has an office in 1359 Broadway.
- New York's New Hope: Christianity Today, December 1, 2004.
- Church Relevance.com The Church Report: 50 most influential churches, 2006
- Tim Keller Wants to Save Your Yuppie Soul: New York Magazine, November 29, 2009.
- Redeemer Church Rejects The 'Hard-Line' Label: New York Times, Sunday, February 15, 1998.
- Preaching the Word and Quoting the Voice: New York Times, Sunday, February 26, 2006.
- City Room, NY Times, 2011 Feb 8 by LIZ ROBBINS and COLIN MOYNIHAN
- Redeemer Presbyterian Church
- Redeemer City to City
- The Movement: RCPC e-newsletter
- unofficial Tim Keller web page
- Reason for God website