||This article is incomplete. (January 2015)|
RedMi is a smartphone brand manufactured by Xiaomi that was first announced in July 2013. Redmi phones use the Android operating system. The phones were previously branded under the name HongMi. Models include the Redmi 1, Redmi 1S and Redmi Note. Redmi phones have been marketed in China (including Hong Kong), Taiwan, Singapore and India. The most significant difference from traditional Xiaomi smartphones is that it uses less-expensive components and is more consumer-oriented. However, the Redmi 1S and Redmi Note (4G edition) both have a mid-range Snapdragon 400 series chipset. In August 2014, The Wall Street Journal reported that in the second-quarter of the 2014 fiscal year, Xiaomi became the leader in smartphone shipment rankings in China with a market share of 14%. Redmi sales were attributed as a contributing factor toward this gain in shipment rankings.
The RedMi phone released in 2013 was first announced on the Xiaomi's website, with consumer sales beginning on July 12, 2013. When first launched, supply was limited to 50,000 units for China and 10,000 units for Hong Kong. 
The RedMi Note was released in July 2014, and uses 3G in dual sim variant and 4G LTE in single sim variant. and the 1.7 GHz Octa Core processor by Mediatek. Xiaomi also released the Redmi 1S smartphone in July 2014.
On August 4, 2014, The Wall Street Journal reported that in China's smartphone market, Xiaomi overtook Samsung in the second-quarter of the 2014 fiscal year with a 14% market share in smartphone shipment rankings, while Samsung had a 12% market share during this time. Additionally, Yulong and Lenovo both had a 12% market share during this time. Redmi sales were attributed as contributing to Xiaomi's increased shipment rankings in the smartphone market. Conversely, in the first-quarter of 2014, Xiaomi held a 10.7% market share.
A sales launch on February 21, 2014 resulted in the phone selling-out in eight minutes, and another launch on February 27, 2014 resulted in the phone selling out in six minutes. On March 13, 2014, 5,000 Redmi phones sold out in eight minutes after being purveyed to consumers on Xiaomi's website. Criticism regarding the release of Redmi phones has included the notion that the firm may be exaggerating its sales by releasing them in small batches, causing them to quickly sell out.
Key specifications(Redmi 1S)
- AGC Dragontrail Scratch Resistant Glass
- Expandable Storage Capacity of 64 GB
- OS-MIUI 5 based on Android Jellybean(v4.3)
- GPU-Adreno 305 graphics
- Dual Sim (3G + 2G)
- CPU-1.6 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon Cortex A7 MSM8228 Quad Core Processor
- 8 MP Primary Camera with 1080p recording
- 1.6 MP Secondary Camera with 720p recording
- 4.7-inch Multi touch Touchscreen(1280x720 with 312ppi)
- Sensors-gyroscope, accelerometer, electronic compass, light sensor & proximity sensor.
- Connectivity- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0,Wi-Fi direct
- Memory(R.A.M)-1 GB LPDDR2
- Brand -xiami
- Handset -Color Metal Grey/red
- Form- Bar
- Call Features -Loudspeaker
- Model Name -Redmi 1S
- Touch Screen -Yes
- SIM Type Dual Sim,— WCDMA + GSM
- "5,000 Redmi sold out in 8 minutes". The Straits Times. 14 March 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Loh, Sherwin (21 February 2014). "Xiaomi's new smartphone Redmi: 10 things to love". The Straits Times. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Red hot demand for Redmi smartphone, AsiaOne Digital1 News
- Xiaomi Overtakes Samsung in China Smartphone Market - Digits. August 4, 2014. The Wall Street Journal.
- Xiaomi Mi4 to Debut in India by Year End; Redmi Note, Redmi 1S to Hit Stores Before Diwali
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (January 2015)|
- DL Says: The lure of China phones is not just the price. The Straits Times.
- "Xiaomi's US$133 Redmi smartphone sold out in Singapore in just 8 minutes". Singapore Business Review.
- Xiaomi's low-cost Redmi Note smartphone to launch in Asia. CNET.
- Xiaomi Confirms 5.5-Inch, Octa-Core Redmi Note Phone With Teaser. TechCrunch.
- Telcos reveal Xiaomi Redmi price plans, AsiaOne Digital1 News
- Xiaomi Redmi review. CNET.