Redmond High School (Oregon)
|Redmond High School|
|675 SW Rimrock Drive
Redmond, Oregon, Deschutes, 97756
|Motto||"Home of the Panthers"|
|School district||Redmond School District|
|Principal||Christopher Paul Whitney|
|Number of students||1696|
|Color(s)||Maroon and gold |
|Athletics conference||OSAA Intermountain Hybrid 5A-4A |
|Rival||Ridgeview High School|
International Baccalaureate Program
Redmond High also offers the International Baccalaureate program (the IBO www.ibo.org) as a charter school housed in the Hugh Hartman Building of Redmond High. The IB program offers courses with an international focus and the IB diploma is accepted as an international standard. The ISC offers the Diploma Program (DP) for Juniors and Seniors and the Middle Years Program (MYP) for Freshman and Sophomores. The DP class offerings include Higher Level (HL): History, English, Biology, Math, Art and Music, and Standard Level (SL): History, Psychology, Chemistry, Music, Art, Spanish, and Math. Students at the ISC take their exams in May. The ISC first opened in 2006 and the first class graduated in June 2008, following a difficult transition period. The program has received many compliments as an option for those students interested in taking a more rigorous course load. While it has improved tremendously, there are still many roadblocks to its complete success. Transfer/acceptance of IB credits to private and public universities is completely at the discretion of the university attended, and is often not as beneficial as the program is advertised. Many students choose to take the Advanced Placement classes offered through RHS as an alternative due to their similar challenging nature and potential for college credit. As an additional alternative, RHS offers co-enrollment with Central Oregon Community College (COCC) for college credit.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "IB FAQ". Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Oregon Universities Observance".
- "list of universities accepting IB diplomas".
- Pavlich, Paul. "Les AuCoin (1942– )". Oregon Encyclopedia. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- Brent Walth (1994). Fire at Edens Gate: Tom McCall and the Oregon story. Oregon Historical Society Press. ISBN 0-87595-247-X.