Redvers House was built in 1971 by the construction firm Newman Doncaster Associates. It is owned by Sheffield City Council and used by certain sections of their Social Services department as offices. Among the branches of the department that use Redvers House are Family And Community Services, Sheffield Safeguarding Children Board, Residential Accommodation Bed Bureau, Sheffield Adult Protection and the Child Protection Office.
Redvers House has a height of 54 metres (177 feet) and has 14 floors. The original building consisted of much copper tinted glass, however the building received a major refurbishment in 2005 which include the exterior being re-clad in its present light grey and aqua colour scheme. The refurbishment which was carried out by the Leeds based building contractor Irwins cost £7,000,000 and also included complete renovation of the offices, staircases and toilet facilities.
Part of the lower building incorporates a Currys electric retail store which faces onto Furnival Gate, these premises were granted planning permission to be converted into the Oceana night club by Luminar Leisure in 2006 although there is no sign of any change of use in early 2009.
- "Pevsner Architectural Guides - Sheffield", Ruth Harman & John Minnis, ISBN 0-300-10585-1, Page 100 Gives details of builders.
- www.skyscrapernews.com. Gives building height and number of floors.
- www.emporis.com. Shows original design of building.
- www.irwins.co.uk. Gives details of 2005 refurbishment.
- Sheffield Council Planning Documents. Show plans for proposed Oceana night club.