|Died||10 February 1984
|Institution||Magdalen College, University of Oxford|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Contributions||The Theory of Economic Development: An Inquiry into Profits, Capital, Credit, Interest, and the Business Cycle|
Dr Redvers Opie (1900-1984) was a British economist. Educated at Durham University, he taught at Oxford University where he eventually became the Bursar of Magdalen College. He later went on to do a PhD at Harvard University, where he became a member of the teaching staff. On the recommendation of John Maynard Keynes, he became the United Kingdom Treasury representative in Washington, D.C., as Counsellor and economic adviser at the British Embassy, 1939–46, and was one of the five members of the UK delegation to the Bretton Woods Conference, which gave birth to the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
Opie married a daughter of the American economist F. W. Tausigg.
Among many books, Redvers is perhaps most famous for his translation of The Theory of Economic Development: An Inquiry into Profits, Capital, Credit, Interest, and the Business Cycle (part of the Harvard Economic Studies series) by Joseph A. Schumpeter.
He moved to Mexico, becoming a naturalized Mexican, where he founded Ecanal in 1976. Ecanal is currently a source of critical analysis of economic and government policy useful for business. Redvers died on February 10, 1984. The sole remaining partner of Ecanal is now Rogelio Ramirez de la O.
- Opie, Redvers (translator); Schumpeter, Joseph A. (author) (1983) . The theory of economic development: an inquiry into profits, capital, credit, interest, and the business cycle. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Transaction Books. ISBN 9780878556984. Hardback ISBN 9780674879904. Translated from the 1911 original German, Theorie der wirtschaftlichen Entwicklung.
- Opie, Redvers; Brown, Jr., William Adams (1953). American foreign assistance. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution. OCLC 171554.
- Opie, Redvers (July 1984). "Cambridge Marxists in Mexico". Economic Affairs (Wiley) 4 (4): 52–53. doi:10.1111/j.1468-0270.1984.tb01657.x.
- Opie, Redvers (June 1931). "Marshall's time analysis". The Economic Journal (Royal Economic Society via JSTOR) 41 (162): 199–215. doi:10.2307/2223698. JSTOR 2223698.
- Opie, Redvers; Schumpeter, Joseph A. (1983) . The theory of economic development: an inquiry into profits, capital, credit, interest, and the business cycle. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Transaction Books. ISBN 9780878556984. Translated from the 1911 original German, Theorie der wirtschaftlichen Entwicklung.