Redwood County, Minnesota
|Redwood County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Minnesota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1862|
|Named for||Juniper and willow trees in the area|
|Largest city||Redwood Falls|
|• Total||881.24 sq mi (2,282 km2)|
|• Land||879.73 sq mi (2,278 km2)|
|• Water||1.51 sq mi (4 km2), 0.17%|
|• Density||19/sq mi (7/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Redwood County is a county located in the U.S. state of Minnesota. As of the 2010 census, the population was 16,059. Its county seat is Redwood Falls. The Lower Sioux Indian Reservation is entirely within the county.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 881.24 square miles (2,282.4 km2), of which 879.73 square miles (2,278.5 km2) (or 99.83%) is land and 1.51 square miles (3.9 km2) (or 0.17%) is water. Native vegetation based on NRCS soils information shows: The Redwood River flows through the county to the Minnesota River.
- Daubs Lake: in Vail Township
- Gales Lake: mostly in Gales Township, but the northern part is in Westline Township
- Lake Francis: mostly in Westline, but the eastern part is in Granite Rock Township
- Long Lake: in Swedes Forest Township
- Three Lakes: in Three Lakes Township
- Tiger Lake: in Honner Township
- Lake Redwood: in Redwood Falls, Redwood Township, Minnesota
- Renville County (northeast)
- Brown County (east)
- Cottonwood County (south)
- Murray County (southwest)
- Lyon County (west)
- Yellow Medicine County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 16,815 people, 6,674 households, and 4,524 families residing in the county. The population density was 19 people per square mile (7/km²). There were 7,230 housing units at an average density of 8 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.97% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 3.24% Native American, 0.32% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.43% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. 1.14% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 55.8% were of German and 13.7% Norwegian ancestry.
There were 6,674 households out of which 31.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.30% were married couples living together, 7.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.20% were non-families. 28.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.50% under the age of 18, 6.60% from 18 to 24, 24.80% from 25 to 44, 22.70% from 45 to 64, and 19.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 99.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,352, and the median income for a family was $46,250. Males had a median income of $30,251 versus $21,481 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,903. About 5.50% of families and 7.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.30% of those under age 18 and 8.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
† A small section of Redwood Falls extends into Renville County
- "Minnesota Place Names". Minnesota Historical Society. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- Nelson, Steven (2011). Savanna Soils of Minnesota. Minnesota: Self. pp. 69 - 70. ISBN 978-0-615-50320-2.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge, The History of Redwood County, Minnesota. In Two Volumes. Chicago: H.C. Cooper Jr. and Co., 1916. Volume 1 | Volume 2
||Yellow Medicine County||Renville County|
|Lyon County||Brown County|
|Murray County||Cottonwood County|