Redwood Junction (UTA station)
Utah Transit Authority (UTA)
TRAX light rail station
|Address||1740 West Research Way
West Valley City, Utah
Utah Transit Authority (UTA):
|Connections||UTA intra-county and local bus|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Parking||6-9 free spaces|
|Opened||7 August 2011|
Redwood Junction is a light rail station in West Valley City, Utah, United States, served by the Green Line of the Utah Transit Authority's (UTA) TRAX light rail system. The Green Line provides service from the Salt Lake International Airport to West Valley City (via Downtown Salt Lake City).
The station is located at 1740 West Research Way (2770 South) with its island platform being situated in the middle of that street. Since the station is located immediately west of Redwood Road (1700 West/SR-68) there is easy access to the station from that road. The station is on the eastern edge of the Decker Lake Business Park. Research Way does not continue east of Redwood Road; instead a segment of the Crosstown Trail parallels the south side of the Green Line tracks (and the stream draining Decker Lake) to provide a connection to the Redwood Nature Area and the Jordan River Parkway for pedestrians and bicyclists. The area had rail service in the early 20th century provided by the Salt Lake and Utah Railroad, though the Green Line uses a different route. UTA indicates the station has 6-9 free Park and Ride spaces available.[Note 1] The station opened 7 August 2011 as part of the West Valley extension of the Green Line and is operated by the Utah Transit Authority.
All of UTA's TRAX and FrontRunner trains and stations, streetcars and streetcar stops, and all fixed route buses are compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act and are therefore accessible to those with disabilities. Signage at the stations, on the passenger platforms, and on the trains clearly indicate accessibility options. In accordance with the Utah Clean Air Act and UTA ordinance, "smoking is prohibited on UTA vehicles as well as UTA bus stops, TRAX stations, and FrontRunner stations".
On weekdays the first northbound Green Line train (to the Airport Station) leaves the Redwood Junction Station at about 5:00 am and the first southbound train (to the West Valley Central Station) leaves at about 6:15 am. The last northbound train leaves at 10:40 pm and the last southbound train leaves at 11:21 pm.
On Saturdays the first northbound train leaves at about 6:30 am and the first southbound train leaves at about 7:15 am. The last northbound train leaves at 10:25 pm and the last southbound train leaving at 11:56 pm.
On Sundays the first northbound train leaves at about 10:00 am and the first southbound train also leaves at about 10:15 am. The last northbound train leaves at 7:05 pm and the last southbound train leaves at 8:35 pm.
Note: Redwood Junction is one of several TRAX stations that, as of August 2014, does not have any direct bus connections. However, the following bus routes have stops in close proximity to the station (on Redwood Road).
- UTA Route 217 - Redwood Road (Rose Park - Salt Lake City, including 1940 W North Temple & Power stations - West Valley City - Taylorsville, including Salt Lake Community College - West Jordan, including West Jordan City Center Station [via Redwood Road])
- On 1 July 2013 UTA announced that beginning immediately it was starting a one year pilot program involving most of its TRAX and FrontRunner Park and Ride lots. The purpose of the new program is to make rider connections with the Salt Lake City International Airport more convenient by avoiding the need to park at the airport. The program allows UTA patrons to park for an "unlimited amount of time" in the designated Park and Ride lots. In addition, UTA will allow free parking in all of its parking garages. Previous UTA policy limited parking to no more than 24 hours, except at its parking garages. As part of the year long pilot program, "UTA will measure parking lot usage and monitor costs, maintenance requirements, impacts to snow removal and security issues before determining if the program will be extended." There are eight Park and Ride lots that are excluded from this test program and the 24-hour time limit will still apply to these lots. While Redwood Station's parking spaces are not specifically listed as one of the eight stations excluded from this test program, this station's spaces are not included.
On 3 July 2014 UTA announced that it had extended the free parking pilot program for another year, but was removing two stations from the program.
- Train schedule is current as of Change Day, 17 August 2014
- Bus routes are current as of Change Day, 17 August 2014
- "TRAX Parking and Stops". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 6 Apr 2013.
- Fidel, Steve (1 Oct 2010). "2011 completion date for two TRAX lines announced". Deseret News (Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media). Retrieved 7 Mar 2013.
- "UTA Offers Free Multi-Day Parking". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 26 Jun 2013. Retrieved 19 Jul 2013.
- "UTA Renews Free Long-term Parking Program". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 3 Jul 2014. Retrieved 30 Jul 2014.
- "Fixed Route Accessibility". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 13 Mar 2013.
- "Rider Rules". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Mar 2013.
- "TRAX" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 13 Apr 2014. Retrieved 15 Apr 2014.
- "Route 704 - Green Line" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 30 Jul 2014.