||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (January 2013)|
|Industry||Exhibitions, Conferences and Events|
|Headquarters||Richmond, Surrey, UK|
|Adjusted Operating Profit||£167m (2011)|
Reed Exhibitions is an events organiser, with a portfolio of approximately 500 events in 39 countries including UK, USA, France, Germany, Brazil, Russia, India, China, Australia and the Middle East. Reed Exhibitions, which employs about 3500 staff, is a division of Reed Elsevier plc, a provider of professional information and workflow solutions in the science, legal, medical, risk management and business sectors. In 2011, Reed Elsevier made an adjusted profit before taxation of £1,391 million on turnover of £6,002 million.
Reed Exhibitions’ primary focus is business-to-business events, although it also runs a small number of consumer events. Reed’s main industry sectors are: aerospace & aviation, automobiles, beauty & cosmetics, broadcasting, building & construction, electronics, energy, oil & gas, engineering & manufacturing, food service & hospitality, gifts, healthcare, interior design, IT & telecoms, jewellery, life science & pharmaceuticals, machinery, marketing, business services & training, medical education, printing & graphics, security & safety, sports & recreation and travel.
The origins of Reed Exhibitions can be traced to 1966 when IPC purchased a stake in US Cahners Publishing and its exhibition portfolio. IPC was acquired by Reed International in 1970 and over the next 15 years, Reed and Cahners continued to grow their exhibition business in the US, Asia and Europe through acquisitions and mergers, becoming Reed Exhibition Companies in 1986.
With the purchase of Miller Freeman Europe in 2000, Reed Exhibitions became the world’s largest exhibition organiser. In the decade since, there has been a shift in emphasis towards the growth markets of China, Latin America, Russia and the Middle East, fueled by joint venture partnerships and the leveraging of market-leading Reed brands.
Reed’s first major presence in China (Reed Huayin) was established in 2003, followed by Reed Sinopharm in 2005 and Reed Huabo in 2007. In 2007 Reed also acquired a joint venture partnership with Alcantara Machado in Brazil - in January 2012 Reed made a move to buy out the partnership and consequently now own Alcantara Machado outright. In 2011 Reed Multiplus was acquired. Reed Multiplus is also based in Brazil and it specialises in renewable energy events, as well as events in the furniture market.
Reed Exhibitions is seeking to increase the proportion of the portfolio in Asia and emerging markets from 24% to 35%.
Reed Exhibitions also caused an uproar at the Eastern Outdoor and Sports Show when they decided to not allow personal defense weapons at the show, also known as AR-15s. This decision caused a huge backlash and subsequent boycott that eventually shut the show down for 2013. Also the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) terminated their management of the SHOT show held in Las Vegas every year.
- Mike Rusbridge - Chairman
- Chet Burchett - CEO
- Paul Beh - Regional President Asia Pacific (Australia, China, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Macau)
- Adam Ford - Group Commercial Director
- Andrew Fowles - Regional President Central & Eastern Europe (Austria, Germany, Russia) and CEO, UK
- Tad Ishizumi - Regional President Asia North (Japan, Korea)
- Dan Londero - Regional President – Turkey, India and Middle East and Managing Director of International Sales Group
- Chris Rees - Chief Operations Officer
- Hervé Sedky - Regional President The Americas (Latin America, USA)
- Richard Lowther - Global Human Resources Director
Some of Reed Exhibitions' shows include: Batimat, MIPCOM, JCK Las Vegas, Star Wars Celebration, World Travel Market, Arabian Travel Market, IST Spring, in-cosmetics, Global Gaming Expo (G2E), World Future Energy Summit, Reed Gift Fairs, Brasilplast, The London Book Fair, International Vision Expo East, Wohnen & Interieur, New York Comic Con, Equitana, Aluminium China, Metalex, Intercharm Professional, Pharmchina, and EIBTM.
- Reed Elsevier Annual Report. (2011)
- "Strategic Milestone Achieved: Reed Exhibitions Acquires Brazil’s Equipotel & Completes Alcantara Machado JV". February 16, 2012.
- Mickey, Bill (February 24, 2011). "Reed Exhibitions Acquires Brazilian Energy Event Organizer". Expoweb.
- Exhibition World "REED EXHIBITIONS CEO OUTLINES INTERNATIONAL PLANS". July 8, 2012
- "Management team". Reed Exhibitions. Retrieved May 14, 2014.