March 17, 1980 |
Grand Rapids, Michigan, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Oklahoma (B.S., M.S.)|
|Known for||Featured on Storm Chasers
Designer and main operator of the SRV Dominator
Reed Timmer (born March 17, 1980) is an American meteorologist and storm chaser who starred on Discovery Channel's reality television series Storm Chasers. On the series, Reed followed severe weather with his TornadoVideos.Net team in their vehicle, the SRV Dominator. He previously starred in the documentary film Tornado Glory and subsequently the web series Tornado Chasers following the cancellation of the Discovery Channel show. He was featured in an interview on a bonus feature for the "Into The Storm" Blu-ray.
Timmer became interested in the weather at a young age, after experiencing a severe thunderstorm that reportedly dropped golfball-sized hail in his yard. Timmer began studying meteorology at the University of Oklahoma (OU) in 1997. In October of that year, he filmed his first tornado. He earned B.S. and M.S. degrees at OU and, as of March 2010, is a Ph.D. candidate there. In April 2013, Reed joined KFOR-TV's 4WARN Storm Team as a storm chaser.
- Rachael Recker (October 18, 2009). "Grand Rapids native Reed Timmer leads viewers into the eye of a tornado on 'Storm Chasers'". The Grand Rapids Press. Retrieved December 31, 2009.
- "Tornado Glory - Official Movie Site". PBS. Retrieved December 31, 2009.
- "2009 Keynote Speaker - Reed Timmer". Northwest Council for Computer Education. February 20, 2009. Retrieved December 31, 2009.[dead link]
- Reed Timmer brings chasing chops to 4Warn Storm Team
- Owen, David (1 November 2010). "The Talk of the Town: Here to There Dept.: Tornado Man". The New Yorker 86 (34): 40, 42. Retrieved 6 November 2011.