Reference and User Services Association
RUSA Book and Media Awards are nominated and awarded by the American Library Association's (ALA) 'Reference and User Services Association' (RUSA). "The authority in top reference works," RUSA’s annual Outstanding Reference Sources awards list is considered the highest industry award or honor for academic reference books or media.
RUSA awards other medals and honors including The Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence in Fiction and Nonfiction and Dartmouth Medal for "creation of a reference work of outstanding quality and significance."  In addition, the ALA List of Notable Books for Adults has been chosen yearly since 1944.
An annotated list of RUSA's selections of outstanding reference works is published annually in the May issue of American Libraries. The RUSA list, along with extended reviews of the selections, is also published annually the Reference & User Services Quarterly (the official Journal of RUSA) and published on the RUSA web site.
RUSA award lists are now selected by the RUSA Collection Development and Evaluation Section (CODES) Reference Sources Committee and are intended to include high-quality reference works. in print or on the World Wide Web.
The 2013 RUSA winners are:
- Biotechnology: In Context, edited by Brenda Wilmoth Lerner & K. Lee Lerner, Gale Cengage
- Dictionary of African Biography, edited by Emmanuel K Akyeampong and Henry Louis Gates Jr., Oxford University Press
- Encyclopedia of Housing, Second Edition, edited by Andrew T. Carswell, Sage Publications
- Encyclopedia of Peace Psychology, edited by Daniel J. Christie, Wiley-Blackwell
- Encyclopedia of Trauma: An Interdisciplinary Guide, edited by Charles R. Figley, Sage Publications
- Enslaved Women In America: An Encyclopedia, edited by Daina Ramey Berry and Deleso A. Alford, Greenwood
- Japanese Philosophy: A Source Book, edited by James W. Heisig, et al., University of Hawaii Press
- Literature of War, edited by Thomas Riggs, St. James Press/Gale Cengage
- Presidents and Black America: A Documentary History, by Stephen A. Jones and Eric Freedman, Sage/CQ Press
- Typography Referenced: A Comprehensive Visual Guide to the Language, History, and Practice of Typography, edited by Allan Haley et al., Rockport Publishers
- Women in American Politics: History and Milestones, by Doris Weatherford, Sage/CQ Press
- RUSA website
- Reference & User Services Assn. (RUSA)/Awards/Book & Media Awards/Outstanding Reference Sources