- This article is about all reflecting pools, for the two named reflecting pools see Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool and Capitol Reflecting Pool.
A reflecting pool or reflection pool is a water feature found in gardens, parks, and at memorial sites. It usually consists of a shallow pool of water, undisturbed by fountain jets, for a reflective surface.
Reflecting pools are often designed with the outer basin floor at the rim slightly deeper than the central area to suppress wave formation. They can be as small as a bird bath, to as large as a major civic element. Their origins are from ancient Persian gardens.
List of notable pools
- The Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, and Capitol Reflecting Pool, in Washington, D.C. (renovated in early 2011)
- The Al-Andalus era Moorish garden reflecting pool in the Patio de los Arrayanes courtyard, at the Alhambra of Granada, in Andalusian Spain
- The modernist Palácio do Planalto and Palácio da Alvorada in Brasília, Brazil
- The King Center in Atlanta, Georgia commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The Oklahoma City National Memorial, at the site of the Oklahoma City bombing
- The Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, California, a former reflecting pool was located in front of the stage, circa 1953 - 1972.
- The National September 11 Memorial & Museum, located in New York City, has two reflecting pools on the location where the Twin Towers stood.
- The Mughal garden reflecting pools at the Taj Mahal in Agra, India
- The reflection pool in front of the stock exchange square in Bordeaux, France.
The reflecting pool in the Patio de los Arrayanes, at the Moorish Alhambra of Granada, Spain
Reflecting Pool at the University of Western Australia
Reflecting pond at the Christchurch Arts Centre in New Zealand
Reflecting pool at the China Pavilion, Epcot Center, Florida
Reflecting Pool at the Bordeaux's stock exchange square, Bordeaux, France
The North Reflecting Pool at the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at dusk, World Trade Center, New York
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Reflecting pools.|